The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is seeking an experienced full-time, Program Associate position for our China Climate and Energy Policy Project based in our Beijing office.
NRDC is one of the most effective environmental organizations in the United States and abroad. Established in 1970, NRDC uses law, science and the backing of 1.3 million members and online supporters to protect the planet and ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things. We are a non-profit, non-governmental international organization headquartered in New York, and have offices in Washington, D.C., San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Beijing, China. Our staff of over 430 environmental lawyers, scientists, policy analysts and engineers work together protect the world’s environment and curb carbon emissions through advocacy, law, policy change and education, as well as on-the-ground project implementation support.
With a team of nearly thirty experts in Beijing and the United States, NRDC’s China Program is at the forefront of supporting China’s efforts on energy efficiency, renewable energy and environmental protection. We are proud to have collaborated with many academic, governmental, and non-governmental partners around the country to help accelerate these efforts.
Under the guidance of the Director of China Climate and Energy Policy and the Senior Advisor for Climate, Energy and Environment, the China Climate and Energy Policy Project Program Associate will provide research and administrative support for projects seeking to minimize the environmental impacts of coal use and unconventional oil and gas development in China. The Program Associate will help organize and participate in working group meetings and other project meetings; ensure coordination of project partner’s research activities; review and provide input on research deliverables; assist with reporting on project progress; and assist in relevant policy research and translation and developing materials to communicate project research results.
The Program Associate will be based in NRDC’s Beijing office and will form an integral part of the NRDC China climate and energy team.
- With the Project Manager and senior program staff, help to monitor partner progress, review and provide input on research deliverables, and coordinate with and ensure effective communication and collaboration among project partners.
- Participate in ongoing working group meetings to monitor and track project progress, and help to organize steering committee, research working group and other project team meetings.
- Assist with reporting on project progress, including collection, summarizing and translation of research partner progress reports.
- Assist in relevant policy research and translation and developing communication materials and publications for distribution as needed.
- Work with the other members of NRDC’s China Program and US colleagues to enhance NRDC’s research and advocacy efforts and expertise on energy and environmental policy.
- Strive for team work, high performance and accountability.
Skills and Knowledge Requirements:
- Solid scientific and technical understanding of energy and environmental issues, including energy policy and technology; environmental impacts of coal, including air, soil and water pollution and GHG emissions; and health impacts from air pollution.
- Broad knowledge of clean energy and climate change policy in China, and the ability to analyze how policies can be improved, including through adoption and adaptation of international best practices and technologies.
- Ability to work cooperatively with stakeholders, including government representatives and researchers, universities, companies, and NGO’s. Strong interpersonal skills and a team player.
- Strong Chinese and English language skills, including the ability to research and preferably write persuasively in both languages.
- Care for details, accuracy and high quality output.
- Self-motivated, and able to work in a fast-paced environment and work under pressure managing multiple tasks to meet deadlines.
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in a relevant energy and environmental field is strongly preferred. 3-5 years of work experience in a relevant energy and environmental field is strongly preferred.
- Fluency in Chinese and English, with strong oral and written skills as well as bilingual translation ability.
- Experience working in the public and/or non-profit sector desired.
NRDC offers competitive compensation based on experience and a pleasant working environment. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How to apply
To apply, please visit our website at www.nrdc.org/jobs and upload your cover letter, CV and any relevant writing samples. If you have any questions about this position, please send an email with the position title in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to Customer Care by dialing 1-866-803-9663.
Prosper Center, Tower 1, Room 1901, 5 Guanghua Road, 5 Chaoyang District, Beijing, 100020, China