The mission of Citizens of the World Charter Schools New York (CWC NY) is to provide a socioeconomically, culturally and racially diverse community of students with an intellectually challenging, experiential learning environment that develops each student's confidence, potential, and individual responsibility as a citizen of the world. We are in our first year, having opened one school in Williamsburg (CSD 14) and one school in Crown Heights (CSD 17). Next year our schools will serve students grades K-2.
The CWC Network
CWC Schools provide socio-economically, culturally and racially diverse communities with schools that:
- Prepare students to become citizens of the world in an ever-changing future
- Promote academic rigor and experiential learning to support and develop children's natural intellectual curiosity
- Embrace a constructivist, project-based learning approach
- Develop each child's potential to live as a learner, both in school and out
- Reflect, welcome and celebrate the community's diversity
- Strengthen the bonds among members of the school community and beyond
We are seeking an experienced and innovative classroom teacher who is excited to work in a unique charter school environment and who has at their core a deep appreciation for early elementary students. We expect our teachers to be leaders and to play an active role in realizing the school's mission by building and shaping our school culture. CWC NY teachers will implement a high-quality, rigorous academic program that includes developing project- based, interdisciplinary units that lead students to demonstrate their understanding creatively and in a hands-on manner.
We are looking for candidates who have experience in progressive education and a solid understanding of the academic, social and emotional development of early elementary students.
Responsibilities will include:
- Developing lessons and units of study that incorporate the multiple intelligences while running a workshop-based classroom
- Engaging in ongoing assessment of student progress using a variety of means, maintaining accurate records, and using assessment data to tailor instruction to individual student needs to increase student performance
- Collaboratively planning, co-teaching and mentoring an Associate Teacher
- Participating in extensive professional development activities, both internal (led by the principal, lead teachers and visiting lecturers) and external (visiting similar schools, attending conferences, etc.)
- Maintaining frequent communication with students, students' families, colleagues, and other school stakeholders
The ideal teacher will have:
- A master's degree and New York certification in the desired area/subject
- Minimum of two years experience teaching early elementary grades
- Demonstrated subject-matter competency through appropriate examination or coursework
- Experience with and passion for pedagogical practices grounded in constructivism, project-based learning and the multiple intelligences theory and in creating appropriate standards-based curriculum in accordance with these philosophies
- Experience developing interdisciplinary units and lessons using "backwards design" curriculum development tools
- Experience working with diverse populations, including English language learners and students with special needs
- Experience organizing and managing a student-centered classroom that includes age-appropriate, culturally responsive classroom management practices
- Experience developing caring classroom environments where instructional time is dedicated to community-building, conflict resolution skill-building, and empowering students to be peacemakers and agents for positive social change
- Eagerness to collaborate with and mentor a teaching assistant in the classroom
- Excellent communication/interpersonal skills as well as a desire to collaborate with various stakeholders to help develop a whole-school community
- Maturity, humility, strong work ethic, sense of humor, and a can-do attitude
- Fluency in a second language (ideally Spanish, French or Creole) is preferred.
How to apply
Interested applicants may apply by submitting a cover letter, resume and responses to the following essay questions to: email@example.com. This position is only available at both locations. In subject line please indicate position applying for and school preference. For example, Second Grade Teacher_Crown Heights)
Essay Questions : Please respond briefly to the following questions (maximum one page for each question):
a. How do you develop your learning environment to meet the varied social, emotional, and academic needs of your students?
b. How would you describe your philosophy or approach to teaching reading and writing?
c. How would you describe your philosophy or approach to teaching mathematics?
CWC NY offers competitive teacher salaries commensurate with experience, and a comprehensive benefits package. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and, as a school serving a diverse group of students, we work to reflect this diversity in our staff as well. No phone calls, please.
33 Nassau Ave., Brooklyn, NY, 11222, US