The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is seeking an experienced full-time Project Manager for our China Coal Policy Project based in NRDC’s Beijing office.
NRDC is one of the most effective environmental organizations in the United States and abroad. Established in 1970, NRDC uses law, science and the backing of 1.3 million members and online supporters to protect the planet and ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things. We are a non-profit, non-governmental international organization headquartered in New York, and have offices in Washington, D.C., San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Beijing, China. Our staff of over 430 environmental lawyers, scientists, policy analysts and engineers work together protect the world’s environment and curb carbon emissions through advocacy, law, policy change and education, as well as on-the-ground project implementation support.
With a team of nearly thirty experts in Beijing and the United States, NRDC’s China Program is at the forefront of supporting China’s efforts on energy efficiency, renewable energy and environmental protection. We are proud to have collaborated with many academic, governmental, and non-governmental partners around the country to help accelerate these efforts.
Under the guidance of the Director of China Climate and Energy Policy and the Senior Advisor for Climate, Energy and Environment, the Project Manager (PM) for the China Coal Policy Project will be responsible for the overall project administration and the coordination of subgrantees. With support from the project team, the PM will be charged with managing and ensuring timely communication, reporting, task implementation, and results delivery by subgrantees. The PM shall develop and manage effective internal processes on progress reporting, budget and expense monitoring, and coordination with the Finance and Development teams in NRDC’s head office on payments, contracting, and other related issues.
The Project Manager will be based in NRDC’s Beijing office and will be an integral part of the NRDC China climate and energy team.
- Manage the coal policy project, including contracting subgrantees, monitoring partner progress, ensuring on-time reporting and delivery of deliverables, facilitating effective communication and collaboration among project partners, and timely addressing any challenges to project implementation.
- Develop and manage the process for the collection of quarterly progress and expenditure reports from research partners and prepare NRDC’s monthly and quarterly project progress and finance reports for the project funder.
- Monitor project expenditures and ensure proper controls and smooth invoicing and payment to subgrantees upon satisfactory completion of deliverables; track overall project budget and expenditures.
- Participate in ongoing working group meetings to monitor and track project progress, and lead staff to organize meetings of steering committee, working groups, and other related workshops.
- Work with project team members to develop and produce communication materials and publications for distribution as needed.
- Work with the other members of NRDC’s China Program and US colleagues to enhance NRDC’s research and advocacy efforts and expertise on energy and environmental policy.
- Strive for teamwork, high performance and accountability.
Skills and Knowledge Requirements:
- Successful past experience and strong ability in managing large-scale energy/environmental policy research projects in China with multiple partners. Accounting and funds management experience.
- Solid scientific and technical understanding of energy and environmental issues, including energy policy and technology; environmental impacts of coal, including air, soil and water pollution and GHG emissions; and health impacts from air pollution.
- Broad knowledge of clean energy and climate change policy in China, and the ability to analyze how policies can be improved.
- Ability to work cooperatively with stakeholders, including government representatives and researchers, universities, companies, and NGOs.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a team player.
- Strong Chinese and English language skills, including the ability to research and write persuasively in both languages.
- Care for details, accuracy and high quality output.
- Selfâ€motivated, and able to work in a fastâ€paced environment and work under pressure managing multiple tasks to meet deadlines.
- 5+ years of highly relevant work experience.
- High fluency in Chinese and English, with excellent oral and written skills as well as bilingual translation ability.
- Advanced degree(s) in relevant fields.
- Experience working in the public and/or non-profit sector desired.
NRDC offers competitive compensation based on experience and a pleasant working environment. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How to apply
To apply, please visit our website at www.nrdc.org/jobs and upload a cover letter, CV and any relevant writing samples. If you have any questions about this position, please send an email with the position title in the subject line to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
Applications will be accepted through December 6th or until filled.
Prosper Center, Tower 1, Rm 1901, 5 Guanghua Rd., Chaoyang District, Beijing, 100020, China