Skill Level: Senior Level
Position Type: Full Time
In 1985, Rainforest Action Network (RAN) was founded with the belief that a sustainable and just world can and must be created in our lifetime, and that it will take individuals and communities standing together to confront corporate power to get us there.
Through education, grassroots organizing and nonviolent direct action, RAN’s campaigns focus on catalyzing market and investment pressure to transform corporate and government policies and behavior in support of forests, the climate and human rights.
In our twenty-seven years of working to support forests and forest peoples, RAN has won major corporate policy changes that have transformed the home building, food product, automobile, oil, paper and banking industries. This has led to the protection of millions of acres of natural forest, fossil fuel projects halted, and climate protections introduced into major US financial institutions.
Through our two program areas, Forests, and Energy and Finance, RAN is currently working to change the policies of the global agribusinesses and pulp and paper industries in order to stop deforestation and the oppression of forest peoples, and is tackling the world’s dirtiest fossil fuels, coal and oil, and the leading banks that make their expansion possible, to address the root causes of climate change.
RAN is oriented to grow significantly in the next five years. The Chief Operating Officer (COO) is a key leadership position responsible for the overall internal health of the organization and for ensuring that the growth is handled strategically, is sustainable and leads to effective impact in the world.
The COO reports to the Executive Director (ED) and manages RAN’s financial strategy, oversees human resources and is responsible for the organization’s internal processes and infrastructure. RAN’s ability to achieve our mission and ambitious goals is dependent on attracting a very high standard of employee and creating a work environment and benefits system that support them in doing their very best work.
The COO is responsible for ensuring that RAN stays at the cutting edge of internal operations so that the organization can do its innovative work out in the world.
Financial Management and Oversight
- Advise ED and department heads on financial planning, budgeting, cash flow and policy matters
- Oversee financial policies and accounting practices
- Create, review and analyze financial reports
- Support and advise the ED and department heads in budget-related decision-making
- Lead and suRainforest Action Networkpport organizational budgeting process
- Ensure that financial data is presented appropriately to ED, leadership team and the board
- Serve as finance liaison to board (audit and finance committees) effectively communicating and presenting financial information
- Responsible for timely and accurate audit
- Manage and Rainforest Action Network oversee recruitment, hiring and compensation
- Facilitate benefits administration and oversight via PEO
- Ensure quality new employee orientations
- Manage yearly performance reviews
- Develop and maintain retention strategies and succession plans
- Provide regulatory oversight and legal compliance by coordinating with PEO
- Discuss and problem-solve personnel issues
- Manage disciplinary actions as necessary and appropriate
Organizational Planning and Performance
- Create and maintain a positive organizational culture in line with RAN’s anti-oppression principles
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality
- Oversee the creation and coordination of staff development and evaluation systems
- Oversee recRainforest Action Networkruitment of staff, implementation of personnel policies, work plans, and work management
- Develop systems and oversee the implementation of Rainforest Action Network’s strategic and yearly plans and ensure integration among the campaigns, communications and development departments
- Create and upkeep organizational systems of policies and internal controls
- Responsible for maintaining physical office space in highly functioning state
- Oversee information systems administration by third party ensuring ongoing maintenance and upgrading of all technology
- Create and maintain disaster recovery plan
- 5+ years of experience in senior management role focusing on finance and administration essential
- Experience with non-profit accounting guidelines beneficial
- Knowledge of Blackbaud’s Financial Edge accounting software beneficial
- Proven track record of success in facilitating progressive and innovative organizational change and development
- Excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills including negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Demonstrated excellent in supervision and leadership of staff
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to effectively interface with senior management, the board and staff
- A strong commitment to the environment and social change
Submit your CV and letter of interest or mail to:
Recruiting, Rainforest Action Network
221 Pine St. Suite 500
SF, CA 94104
No phone calls, please.
RAN values diversity, educates staff on issues including privilege and oppression, and integrates these values into all of our work. We are seeking candidates who have a commitment to engage in this process and work with us to create a just, inclusive, and sustainable work environment and world. RAN provides all people with equal employment and volunteer opportunities.