Chief Officer of External Relations
The AIDS Foundation of Chicago (AFC) is seeking a Chief Officer of External Relations to oversee its fund development and communications activities. The Chief Officer of External Relations is responsible for developing and executing AFC's external fundraising and communications strategy, leading AFC's development and communications staff teams and assisting the President/CEO as a key member of the executive team. The Chief Officer of External Relations will also work closely with the Board of Directors and AFC's community partners.
Founded in 1985 by community activists and physicians, AFC is a local and national leader in the fight against HIV/AIDS. AFC collaborates with community organizations to develop and improve HIV AIDS services; funds and coordinates prevention, care, and advocacy projects; and champions effective, compassionate HIV/AIDS policy.
Principal responsibilities of this position include the following:
- Develop, manage, and implement all activities related to the External Relations Department;
- Create, maintain, and manage budgets for the External Relations department;
- Develop and implement annual plans to achieve AFC's External Relations objectives;
- Work with the President/CEO, other Vice Presidents, and Board of Directors to create, develop, and carry out the agency's strategic plan;
- Develop and implement program monitoring, evaluation, and quality assurance activities for the department;
- Demonstrate strong and effective organizational leadership at all times;
- Model and promote professionalism, timeliness, accuracy, and excellent judgment to achieve the highest of professional standards;
- Oversee cost-effective and timely development, creative direction, placement, and purchasing for AFC's advertising, public relations and social marketing activities
- Adhere to an annual production calendar that includes writing, editing, proofreading, and production for AFC's Annual Report, newsletters, special events flyers and publicity materials, special publications, and other public relations materials as needed;
- Develop and execute AFC's external strategy by:
- Building AFC's public presence, including brand equity and media relations
- Spearheading donor and media outreach and development
- Leveraging the President/CEO to create and maintain key external relationships
- Supporting the President/CEO in staffing the Board
- Overseeing AFC's fundraising initiatives
- Developing and stewarding growth capital prospects in coordination with the President/CEO and development staff
- Supporting the development team in building the systems and relationships needed to build sustainable revenue streams
- Assist the President/CEO as a key member of the Executive Team
- Assist with other AFC activities as requested;
- Represent AFC as needed;
- Assist with agency wide activities as directed, including Annual Meeting, AIDS Run & Walk, World of Chocolate and others;
- Assume other duties as needed or assigned.
Bachelor's degree and a minimum of ten (10) years of professional experience in communications, public relations, fundraising development, sales and/or related field, with progressively increasing management and supervisory experience is required. Successful candidates will possess a strong ability to work well with multiple audiences and diverse constituencies, and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment managing multiple tasks, priorities, budgets, goals, and responsibilities.
Strong attention to detail and the ability to manage multiple projects and budgets, establish workload priorities, and meet deadlines is critical. Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work with diverse populations are required attributes. Demonstrated facility in graphic design, photography, and web production is strongly preferred. Desired computer skills include: Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Distiller, DreamWeaver, Convio and Raiser's Edge. Experience working with diverse populations, especially communities of color, and sensitivity to issues concerning HIV/AIDS and all disabilities is required. Must demonstrate a strong professional background and proven track record in copywriting, editing, and proofreading. Experience serving as a spokesperson for similarly sized organizations, conducting print production, media relations, public relations activities, and fund development is highly desired.
Send cover letter and resume to: Email to: email@example.com, via mail to AIDS Foundation of Chicago, 200 West Jackson Suite 2200 Chicago, IL 60606, or via fax to (312) 784-9054.
Please reference position code EXTREL COEA 900
People of color, women, people living with HIV/AIDS, and all others are encouraged to apply.
No phone calls please.
fax to (312) 784-9054
200 W. Jackson, Suite 2200, Chicago, Illinois, 60606, United States