Chief of Operations, Frayser Achievement Schools
Senior Director of School Operations; Director of Technology; Manager of Data and Student Information*; Employee Services Manager (shared employee)
Achievement School principals; Instructional leadership team; ASD Chief of Operations and Director of Shared Services; Chief Financial Officer
About the ASD
The Tennessee Achievement School District is an unprecedented statewide effort dedicated to improving education for Tennessee’s most underserved students by transforming the lowest-performing (bottom 5%) schools to the top 25% within 5 years. As a “portfolio school district” based in the TN Department of Education, the ASD recruits, authorizes and supports high-performing charter schools as well as incubates schools through direct management. Currently, 68 out of the 85 bottom-5% schools in TN are clustered in Memphis.
This role focuses on a network of six directly-managed “Achievement Schools” clustered in the Frayser neighborhood, which is being incubated into what could be the largest community-based public charter school organization in Tennessee.
The COO ensures that the Achievement Schools cluster has excellent operational services needed to realize its mission. The COO leads a team of functional managers in running the day-to-day business operations of the Achievement Schools shared services “Support Team,” as well as the cultivation and accountability of our school-based operations staff. The COO reports to the Executive Director, and serves on the leadership team of the Frayser Achievement Schools support team network, playing a key role in forming and implementing the organization’s strategy. This is a new position, emerging as a result of the incubation strategy for the Achievement Schools.
Planning, leadership & management
- Ensure the availability and constant improvement of high-quality, never-bureaucratic operational supports to the schools
- Recruit, select, train, manage and develop support team / shared service staff
- Implement and improve network-wide operations strategies, including service level agreements and communication protocols with school stakeholders; school-startup project plans; etc
- Collaborate with ASD CFO in development of organizational financial model and budgets, as well as implementation of our unique “activity-based cost allocation” model
- Support organizational management and improvement
Shared operations service management
- Work with ASD operations leaders and school district staff to ensure completion of MOUs for access to resources, facility occupancy and capital repairs, and shared services
- Working with ASD operations staff, facilitate collective contracting for services where desirable, and ensure that external providers meet school needs
Note: some of the services currently provided through various forms of collaboration with district or other external provider include custodial / maintenance, transportation, nutrition / food service, certain special ed placements, security, nursing
Achievement Schools’ operations
- Provide leadership and oversight for a team of managers and service providers covering a range of operational services, including procurement, technology and data, facilities, employee services, transportation, food service, security, student enrollment, etc.
Note that in our fast-growing organization, specific functional responsibilities of the role may change depending on candidate capacity and organizational need
- Implement and improve comprehensive operations planning and support strategies (e.g., service level agreements, training, help desk monitoring, performance management and accountability reporting to school leaders and teachers, etc.) to ensure that our stakeholders are supported so well that they can focus, distraction-free, on students. Ensure “straight A’s” on our quarterly support team report card
- Support Senior Director of School Operations in selection process, project planning protocol, and coaching of Achievement Schools’ site-based Directors of School Operations, with an emphasis on capacity-building and decentralizing authority
- Support finance team in development of school budgets as needed
- Provide support for implementation of financial policies and procedures, including procurement approvals. Lead financial planning for operational services. Do whatever it takes to ensure careful use of operational resources to meet student needs
- Ensure effective and accessible student recruitment and enrollment procedures, helping schools to hit enrollment targets
- Support our IT team and consultants to ensure operation of reliable, user-friendly technology systems and support, and student information and data systems so that teachers, staff and families have the data needed to make kid-focused decisions
Candidate qualifications and traits
- Substantial (multi-year) operations and personnel management experience in a fast-growing, service-oriented environment
- Zeal for service
- Relentless results-orientation
- Capacity to see the forest and the trees
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Experience in education and/or nonprofit environment preferred
How to apply
We hope to offer the position to an excellent candidate this summer and have the new COO commence as soon as possible. Interested candidates should apply online at http://www.achievementschooldistrict.org/join-our-team/apply-now/. Please submit a resume, three references, and a cover letter [required], explaining why you would be an ideal fit for this position and the ASD. Please direct any questions to Saumil Shah at email@example.com.
710 James Robertson Parkway, Twelfth Floor, Nashville, Tennessee, 37243, United States