Kepler is a nonprofit venture designed to answer one question: if we reinvented higher education for the 21st century, what would it look like?
Kepler's answer is a radically redesigned university model that combines online content from elite U.S. universities, offline instructional design from the best charter schools, and apprenticeships with top local employers. Think MIT and Berkeley lectures paired with a classroom experience and student culture drawn from KIPP and Year Upall leading to yearlong, full-time internships with Google or IBM during senior year and culminating in an accredited bachelor's degree from a U.S. university.
Just as mobile phone technology eliminated the need for investment in landlines in the developing world, Kepler's innovative use of technology allows it to leapfrog costly, ineffective university models. The result is a world-class education at a fraction of the cost of existing options, making the future of higher education available today to underserved students in emerging markets.
Kepler launched its pilot campus in Rwanda this fall with an inaugural class of 50 students. The organization plans to aggressively scale its model, creating a multi-country network of universities enrolling thousands of students over the coming decade and indirectly impacting millions more through widespread adoption of Kepler's educational innovations.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
The Chief Executive Officer will lead the development and growth of Kepler's disruptive new approach to solving the crisis of higher education in the developing world. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the CEO will translate Kepler's vision into a flourishing organization and transformational model of university education that produces game-changing outcomes for students.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Collaborating with Board of Directors and senior leadership to set vision and strategy for the organization
- Serving as external voice for the organization and thought leader on the transformation of higher education in the developing world, engaging with partners, funders, and leading thinkers and practitioners
- Building a strong organizational culture defined by high expectations, transparency, personal accountability, growth mindset, and customer orientation
- Building a high-performing senior leadership team, recruiting and hiring key talent to effectively advance Kepler's ambitious mission
- Coaching and managing senior leadership team, enabling staff development and organizational effectiveness
- Cultivating and managing relationships with prospective and existing partners (e.g., degree-granting U.S. university partners, sources of high-quality online educational content), building a base of support and a network of champions for Kepler's work
- Overseeing fundraising planning and implementation, generating a funding base that ensures the ongoing financial sustainability of the organization
- Implementing internal systems and processes to drive high performance and continuous improvement
- Developing annual operating plans that support Kepler's strategic goals and objectives
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree required
- Ten (10) or more years of professional experience
- Demonstrated success leading and managing a high-performing organization
- Experience managing senior-level teams, with the ability and desire to motivate, coach, and develop staff
- Experience implementing talent management systems and processes
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and charisma, with the ability to develop strong relationships across a diverse spectrum of stakeholders
- Entrepreneurial spirit, growth mindset, and open sharing orientation
- Passion for the mission of Kepler
- Experience in education, business, international development preferred
- Functional experience in external relations and instructional leadership preferred
- A willingness to live in Kigali, Rwanda for at least two years
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
How to apply
Apply online at www.on-ramps.com/jobs/891