Founded in 2009, The School Fund is a nonprofit organization dedicated to providing opportunity for disadvantaged students around the world through scholarships. We believe that an education is the most effective way for individuals to improve their own lives. Globally, 131 million children cannot attend school primarily because of poverty. We support the education of 350 secondary school students in 15 countries in Asia, Africa, and Latin America through www.theschoolfund.org.
The School Fund strives to create the future of giving in the global education space. We provide a platform that community partners can use to enhance their capacity for communication, transparency, and fundraising. We provide a space for funders and students to communicate and develop relationships with one another in an effort to create more globally minded citizens.
Our work has been featured in The Huffington Post, Fast Company, GOOD Magazine, The Economist, ONE Campaign and was recognized by President Bill Clinton at the Clinton Global Initiative University meeting in San Diego, CA.
The School Fund (TSF) is seeking a passionate, entrepreneurial leader to serve as our Chief Executive Officer. Reporting to the Board of Directors and overseeing the Chief Operating Officer, the CEO will lead our team in all strategic growth goals. The CEO will ensure that The School Fund's fiscal, operations, fundraising, marketing, human resource, technology, and programmatic strategies are effectively implemented across all segments of the organization.
S/he will supervise 1 full-time and 2-3 part-time colleagues as well as an active volunteer team. The successful candidate should be excited about crafting and pursuing new initiatives independently, should embrace unfamiliar challenges, and believe that no task is too small or big. This position is ideal for someone who is passionate about education and excited about leading an organization during a high-growth period. The successful candidate will bring a track record of success in management, organizational scaling and fundraising.
This position will be based in the San Francisco Bay Area, with the exact location at the discretion of the individual; TSF will fund a shared office location in San Francisco. The CEO will be expected to provide her/his own computer and phone service. Compensation is commensurate with experience.
Leadership and Strategic Vision; (50%)
- Collaborate with the Board of Directors to refine and implement TSF's strategic plan while ensuring that the budget, staff, and priorities are aligned with core mission
- Oversee internal organization structure and NGO partnerships with the COO
- Oversee website/technology development with the technology team and COO
- Manage budgeting and finance with the COO
- Manage development strategy with part-time and volunteer fundraising team
- Oversee external relations with part-time and volunteer communications team
- Ensure entire team is motivated to reach their full potential in TSF's mission of building a world where opportunity and access to education are not a matter of privilege
Operational Fundraising ; (40%)
- Lead fundraising and foundation/corporate development efforts to ensure TSF has a stable and growing operating budget
- Work with development team to set appropriate goals and expectations
- Proactively seek out and manage relationships with donors, foundations and corporations; engage high net-worth individuals in the San Francisco Bay Area
- Grant writing, fulfillment, and reporting as necessary
Outreach ; (10%)
- Build and maintain relationships with US middle and high schools that are fundraising for TSF
- Attend relevant conferences and speak at industry events where appropriate
- Establish TSF as key voice for effective global education through range of communication outlets
- Minimum Bachelor's degree; ideally with an MBA, MPA or related advanced degree
- Experience scaling an organization with a strong online presence
- At least 6 years overall professional experience
- Relevant fundraising experience in a nonprofit and/or for-profit venture
- Experience managing a team
- Work experience or significant travel to a developing country and willing to travel internationally for 2-4 weeks annually
- Outstanding presentation and communication skills and the ability to be an outgoing spokesperson, relationship builder and fundraiser
- Proven dedication to international development, education, and/or poverty issues
- Self-motivated, highly independent worker
- Knowledge of international development programs, education, and/or metrics and evaluation
- Passion for work in a rapidly evolving environment
To apply, please send a cover letter, brief writing sample and resume to Connor Ashenbrucker at firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject line: The School Fund CEO Application - [Full Name]. The School Fund is an equal opportunity employer.