uAspire* is committed to ensuring that all young people have the financial information and resources necessary to achieve their dreams of higher education. uAspire provides free college affordability advice and advocacy to students and families in Massachusetts, Miami and soon-to-be, the San Francisco Bay Area, helping them overcome the financial barriers to a college education. Since 1985, uAspire has provided financial aid advising to more than 60,000 students and awarded more than $6 million in scholarships. Through strategic partnerships with high schools, community organizations and local universities, uAspire helps academically prepared students find an affordable path to and through their postsecondary education. uAspire is in the early stages of implementing a multi-faceted strategic growth plan that will enable the organization to positively impact the lives of 1,000,000 students by 2017.
uAspire seeks a talented Chief Development Officer (CDO) to lead the organizations fundraising efforts in support of their aggressive strategic goals. This is the unique and extraordinary opportunity to join an organization that has a proven ability to grow impact through the scaling of programmatic services. The Chief Development Officer will play an integral role in uAspires continued expansion by spearheading all fundraising efforts across a growing national network. Working in close partnership with the CEO and the Leadership Team, the CDO will develop, design and implement comprehensive national and local fundraising strategies with a goal of doubling uAspires annual revenues from $4 million to $8 million over the next five years.
The Chief Development Officer will be responsible for building and overseeing a results-driven fundraising department that keeps pace with the needs of programmatic and operational expansion.
The ideal candidate is entrepreneurial, results driven and thrives in a fast-paced growth environment. S/he is excited about the opportunity to serve as an active, hands-on and contributing member of the Leadership Team. The CDO has nuanced and highly developed stakeholder management skills for collaborating with internal staff, external partners, the Board and specifically the Boards Development Committee. S/he is a leader who can guide the strategic direction of fundraising and is excited about having a hands-on role in its execution.
This is a full-time role reporting to the CEO and based in Boston, MA.
- Formerly known as ACCESS, uAspire changed its name in September 2012 to better align the organizations name with its dual focus on helping students gain access to and succeed in college.
The Chief Development Officer responsibilities include:
Strategic Fundraising, Marketing and Event Management:
- Collaborate with the CEO to develop and implement a strategic fundraising plan that will guide the organization to meet fundraising goals and maximize opportunities around foundation, corporate, and individual giving across a national footprint
- Actively cultivate financial support for uAspire through the expansion and diversification of uAspires donor base
- Manage and grow a portfolio of donor relationships from a variety of sources including individual, grant and corporate opportunities
- In collaboration with the Leadership Team, implement and drive a successful growth capital campaign
- Develop and execute a well-designed stewardship plan, including fulfillment of donor acknowledgements, foundation requirements and sponsor benefits
- Manage and oversee development and fundraising operations, including gift processing, grant writing, record keeping, donor database management, reporting and compliance requirements
- Oversee a national network of major fundraising events, supporting local Executive Directors, including playing a lead role in securing significant event investments that may impact multiple sites.
Team Management and Cross-functional Leadership:
- Build, and manage a National Development Department for uAspire
- Manage uAspires National Board Development Committee as well as work collaboratively with the National Board to achieve fundraising goals for the organization
- Partner with the Leadership Team and local Executive Directors to ensure national alignment with local fundraising efforts
- Provide major gifts coaching to senior staff across a national network
- Collaborate with the Leadership Team to ensure that there is an integrated and cross-functional approach to development which supports the strategic growth and sustainability of the organization while scaling
- Bachelor degree or equivalent experience required; advanced degree preferred
- Minimum of 7+ years of relevant work experience leading a development function
- Demonstrated expertise in multi-year, multi-stream campaign development and implementation
- Significant experience in gift solicitation, donor recognition and stewardship, and corporate and foundation relations
- Extensive experience and record of accomplishment in identifying, cultivating, soliciting and successfully closing five and six figure gifts
- Ability to navigate geographically diverse philanthropic markets
- Exceptional written and communication skills and ability to target messages to a diverse set of stakeholders
- Outstanding organizational skills and high attention to detail, demonstrated ability to manage multiple deadline driven priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, growth environment
- Proficiency using fundraising and tracking software, Sales Force a plus.
- Ability to travel approximately 25% and willingness to work flexible hours, including some nights and weekends
- A sincere and deep commitment to uAspires mission and values
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience in addition to a competitive benefits package.
How to Apply:
uAspire has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Miecha Forbes at https://koya.refineapp.com/jobPosting/apply/702