Framingham and Hudson, MA
South Middlesex Opportunity Council (SMOC) has an opportunity available for full-time Case Managers at our Framingham and Hudson, MA programs. You will be responsible for providing case management services to families referred through the Department of Housing and Community Development. These services will be provided with the goal of assisting each family to attain and sustain a permanent housing placement. The case load will be a combination of homeless families in emergency shelter and families who transition from shelter into permanent housing. Bilingual (Spanish) candidates strongly encouraged to apply. SMOC is a private non-profit multi-service agency that provides a comprehensive array of services including: a continuum of housing and care for targeted populations including the homeless and other disadvantaged individuals and families. To find out more about SMOC and why we are a great place to work please visit our website www.smoc.org.
SOME RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE
- Complete an intake and needs assessment with each family within 48 hours of their placement into shelter. This assessment will include a broad range of areas including: Income/employment/education, budgeting/credit, behavioral health, food/nutrition, children's school/daycare, legal/ CORI issues, health, parenting, and daily living skills.
- Establish a respectful relationship with families and meet at least weekly to monitor the Rehousing Plan established by DHCD. Document all client meetings.
- Work closely with families to identify and build upon strengths and develop strategies to address barriers and concerns identified through the assessment process.
- Act as a liaison between shelter and public schools, assist with enrollment in daycares and public schools, provide educational activities around parenting and children's issues for adult residents and recreational activities for the children.
- Develop housing search strategy based on the unique needs and strengths of each family; work with each family to develop and implement housing action plans.
- Advocate, mediate and negotiate with landlords on behalf of clients as appropriate.
- Advocate on behalf of clients, and attend administrative hearings if necessary.
- Assist families in arranging appointments and transportation. Provide client transportation to housing related appointments as needed.
- Assist the program director with placements as assigned. This includes ensuring that units are ready and fully equipped/furnished prior to the arrival of the family, greeting the family at the shelter, and conducting a tour and orientation to the shelter upon the arrival of the family.
- Complete and submit any requests for client assistance funds including RAFT, HOMEBASE, MWOC, FEMA, etc.
- Assist families in successfully transitioning to enhanced self-sufficiency. Support families in their continued economic development planning.
- If the tenancy is endangered for any reason, ensure that the family resolves the issue and retains the tenancy or assist the family in finding a sustainable housing alternative instead of returning to shelter.
- Maintain up to date case notes, telephone contact log and referrals to community based services.
- Work collaboratively with collateral providers including DCF, DYS, early intervention, Legal services, BHS, etc to ensure coordination of services.
- For congregate sites- provide coverage duties as assigned. HSC based staff provide support to the HSC operations as needed or assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor's Degree preferred, or a minimum of three years experience in Human Services or related field.
- Minimum one year assessment, advocacy and case management skills.
- Sensitivity to low-income people of diverse backgrounds.
- Excellent listening skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Bi-lingual preferred.
- Must have valid driver's license, reliable transportation and meet insurance standards – this position may be required to drive clients in the employee's personal vehicle.
- Ability to ascend & descend stairs
- Ability to drive
We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits package and an exceptional time off program. We believe in quality of life for all individuals including our employees.
SMOC is an equal opportunity affirmative action employer that finds strength in diversity
How to apply
Interested applicants should apply online at https:smocapp.vistahrms.com Req # 2013-030 or 2014-064. We can only review applicants who apply through our online career center.
Req # 2013-030 or 2014-064
7 Bishop Street, Framingham, MA, 01702, US