Inwood House, a 183 year old child welfare and youth development not-for-profit specializing in serving pregnant and parenting teens and teen pregnancy prevention work is seeking a passionate individual to serve as the Inwood House Career Specialist/Social Worker. The Career Specialist/Social Worker will work closely with the Coordinator of The Inwood House Academy as well as with the PYA(Preparing Youth for Adulthood) Specialist, the Educational Specialist, and IH social work staff to provide employment readiness services for pregnant and parenting residents of Inwood House, to ensure that they receive the guidance, resources and support they need to reach their career and employment goals. The Career Specialist/Social worker is responsible for working with residents individually as well as in group settings, to provide job readiness skills, career exposure, and internship and/or job placement. The Career Specialist/Social Worker will be able to engage hard-to-reach pregnant and parenting teens at all three IH sites (TFLC Residence, Victory Residence, and the MCFC program), and will counsel them and support them in overcoming the barriers to reaching their educational and employment goals. The Career Specialist will work with closely with the PYA Coordinator to identify potential internship and employment opportunities for residents, placing residents in internships, overseeing & monitoring internship performance, and supporting residents through the process of job hunting. The Career Specialist/Social Worker will coordinate field trips to different kinds of job sites to expose residents to different types of jobs. Finally, The Career Specialist/Social Worker will work closely with the IH Academy Team (Coordinator of the IH Academy, Education Specialist, and Career Specialist) to ensure that both educational goals and employment-related goals are balanced, and if the team determines that a resident is not yet ready for an outside internship or job, will work closely with the teen one-on-one to develop appropriate learning opportunities tailored to that individual resident’s specific needs and abilities.
Engage pregnant and parenting teens, as well as runaway and homeless young adult Victory House residents, and provide employment-related counseling and support.
Work with the Coordinator of The IH Academy to complete a career interest assessment on all residents;
Assist the Coordinator of The Inwood House Academy in developing systems to track residents’ participation in employment related services, whether they are group sessions, individual sessions, internships, jobs or other kinds of learning opportunities;
Work closely with program staff to ensure that staff receive updated information regarding career/vocational assessments;
Work closely with the PYA Coordinator to build and maintain relationships with potential internship and job placement sites, and to identify potential internship and employment opportunities;
Work closely with YDC and Social Work staff to determine residents’ readiness and eligibility for internships, based on criteria related to educational progress, program compliance, etc.;
Monitor and oversee residents’ internship placements and internship performance;
Responsible for organizing and monitoring internship payroll, ensuring that residents do not exceed the maximum number of internship hours as determined by the program’s internship budget;
Guide residents through the job application process, as needed;
Develop appropriate learning opportunities for residents who are not ready for internship or job placement, as determined by the IH Academy Team;
Coordinate field trips to different kinds of job sites to expose residents to different types of jobs
Assist the IH research department in developing a database to track educational and employment outcomes, as needed.
Works closely with interdisciplinary team to ensure treatment plans fully reflect comprehensive needs and strengths of youth and family as they relate to residents’ career/vocational goals;
Work with the Coordinator of The Inwood House Academy and the Education Specialist to assist pregnant and parenting foster care youth with navigating college application deadlines and financial aid applications, and in planning course loads and other school requirements, as needed.
Minimum Education and Experience:
- MSW or related Masters Degree preferred.
- Ability to engage hard to reach pregnant and parenting young people, to understand and work with resistance, and to apply a compassionate, trauma-informed perspective to daily interactions with IH residents;
- Must have knowledge and experience in adolescent development, adult learning principles, and group dynamics;
- Must possess strong case management and advocacy skills;
- Must possess strong counseling skills, including the ability to explore barriers to motivation with hard-to-reach adolescents
- Experience teaching or counseling young people about career exploration, job readiness skills, and internship or job development in a high school, college or other academic setting preferred;
- Ability to conduct training and on-going workshops;
- Must be a strong communicator, and be skilled at building and maintaining relationships with external and internal resources;
- Must have knowledge of community resources and skills to link families with appropriate agencies and services;
- Ability to establish professional boundaries and engage in professional behaviors that emulate a high level of ethics and objective/non-judgmental approaches;
- Ability to interact, and work with culturally diverse individuals;
- Ability to lift and carry approximately 20 pounds and climb stairs;
- Possess excellent organizational, verbal, written and communication skills;
- Must be computer literate and have the ability to promote a positive and enthusiastic work environment;
- Must be a team player and have the ability to work independently;
- Valid NYS Driver’s License preferred and must possess the ability to travel;
- Must have a commitment to work from a strength based perspective;
- Candidate must be flexible, as some evenings and weekend hours may be required;
- Bilingual English/Spanish a plus.
How to apply
Please email or fax resume & cover letter to Norma Uriguen, Director of Human Resources at:email@example.com. No Phone Calls Please.