The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation’s most effective environmental action organization. We use law, science and the support of 1.4 million members and online activists to protect the planet’s wildlife and wild places and to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America’s bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff of more than 430 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy and communications experts, and others, work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Livingston, Montana and Beijing.
NRDC is seeking a Campaign Manager/Director to work with the Strategic Priority Campaigns/Institutional team in our San Francisco office; however this position can be functional in our Washington, DC, Chicago or Santa Monica offices as well. The Campaign Manager/Director reports to the Director of Campaigns in the San Francisco office. The right candidate will collaborate with NRDC’s campaign leadership to develop and manage integrated advocacy campaigns that engage the public on NRDC’s strategic priorities including clean energy, domestic climate change, wildlife and public health policies. Campaign work includes constituent research, message development, writing and blogging, polling, advertising, identification of partners who can bring influential voices to our policy efforts, coalition building, multi-channel communication expertise (social media/ multi-media/ earned media). Works in tandem directly with various program directors (as assigned) and the communications team to plan and implement public engagement campaigns focused on leveraging participation from consumers, business leaders and myriad specific targeted audiences to move NRDC’s policy objectives forward.
- Work with program leaders to develop long and short term campaigns for mobilizing the public, grass tops leaders, and the media in support of NRDC priorities.
- Manage campaign implementation, including extensive coordination with participating programs and numerous internal departments as well as external partners.
- Provide strategic planning and project management to key issue areas.
- Work with institutional staff to develop and implement rapid response campaign tactics as needed.
- Proactively identify new opportunities, within and across programs, to engage the public around NRDC priorities. Identify potential partnerships that could get more exposure for NRDC and our issues.
- Manage/Create campaign materials and draft digital content, as needed. This may include the writing, editing and distribution of blogs, social media, fact sheets, newsletters, political and educational materials. It may also include the writing, editing and reviewing of articles for mass media and healthâ€‘oriented publications.
- Align with Communications partners to drive media outreach activities related to assigned campaign, including developing media outreach plans, serving as NRDC spokesperson to various media outlets, and promote opportunities in which to involve activists and which can form the basis for activist recruitment.
- Manage external vendors and consultants. Assist in the preparation and management of budgets and contracts as needed to implement campaigns.
- Coordinate with coalition partners and other allies outside the organization on campaigns, developing new partnerships and leading coalition campaign efforts when needed.
- Organize and staff campaign events such as community meetings, film screenings, and rallies.
- B.A. /B.S. degree in Communications, Marketing, Political Science, or a related field, with demonstrated excellent in oral and written communication.
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience as a manager of public mobilization campaigns for an NGO, elected position, or private company, or a comparable position in another organization which includes substantial experience planning and managing a national level advertising or outreach campaign, including strategy, organizing, lobbying, media, fundraising, program/employee management, bet planning and management, and work with senior-level political leaders.
- Ability to facilitate team discussions and build consensus.
- Familiarity with legislative and administrative processes at the federal and state levels.
- Strong working knowledge of public opinion research/paid advertising/earned-media/social-media and marketing.
- Excellent demonstrated written and oral communication skills in a work context. Demonstrated public speaking and media presentation ability a plus.
- Experience, demonstrated skill and ability, in national media relations. Includes effective television and radio presence, knowledge of multimedia & social media technologies & platforms including video, radio and print creative production processes.
- Expertise in project management and pre- and post-campaign metrics and evaluations.
- Ability to juggle multiple complex projects simultaneously and effectively.
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.
How to apply
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/jobs. No phone calls or faxes please. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to Customer Care by dialing 1-866-927-2472.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org
1152 15th Street, NW, Washington, DC, 20005, US