Position Summary: Free Press is seeking a campaign communications manager who will innovate for lasting change on media, technology and democracy issues. Working in a fast-paced environment, the campaign communications manager will write email alerts, help develop campaign and outreach materials and create Web graphics and content aimed at promoting Free Press’ work among activists, allies and the general public. S/he will work in a team approach across the organization to develop engaging messaging that advances our campaign and organizational goals.
This position is based in our Florence, Mass., office. This job requires some evening and weekend work. Occasional domestic travel is required.
Position Status: Full time Work Location: Florence, Mass.
About Us: Free Press is building a powerful nationwide movement to change the media and build a better democracy. We are a nonpartisan organization and we do not accept funding from business, government or political parties. We advocate for universal and affordable Internet access, diverse media ownership, vibrant public media and quality journalism.
Founded in 2003, Free Press is the nation’s largest organization of its kind, with more than 600,000 activists and offices in Washington, D.C., and Florence, Mass. We are a hardworking, fun-loving, creative and collaborative workplace. We seek employees who are critical thinkers, adept problem solvers and accomplished project managers who will help build on our solid track record of success.
Free Press comprises two separate corporate entities, Free Press and the Free Press Action Fund. Both entities share the same overall mission, office space and employees. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “Free Press.”
- Collaborate with the digital communications director, editor and others to create compelling and accessible content that effectively communicates Free Press’ mission and purpose.
- Write email alerts, outreach materials and other Web content and graphics for campaigns and general organizational outreach.
- Work with the digital communications team and the organizing team to develop effective online and offline strategies.
- Collaborate with the digital communications team to create communications that distill complex media policy issues into tangible and accessible terms.
- Collaborate with the online communications manager to monitor our campaign’s metrics and analytics and determine if we are meeting/exceeding our goals.
Skills and Attributes:
- Must have a clear, concise and compelling writing style.
- Must be able to execute quality work under tight deadlines with little oversight.
- Must have experience using a CRM like ActionKit.
- Must have a working knowledge of and comfort with HTML and Drupal.
- Must be familiar with Adobe Creative Suite and other graphics-editing software.
- Must be adept at learning the nuances of complex issues and distilling them into tangible talking points.
- Must have an understanding of data and analytics, i.e., Google Analytics, A/B testing and Web optimization.
- Must be invested in experimenting with new outreach tactics.
- Must have strong project-management skills.
- Must have a personal approach that values the individual and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socioeconomic circumstance.
- A great sense of humor and flexibility are musts.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or 3–5 years experience developing communications for a nonprofit or advocacy organization
- An interest in media policy and activism
- Strong writing and verbal communication skills
- Experience working in a team environment
Free Press offers competitive compensation, excellent benefits, flexible work policies and a collaborative work environment. We also provide professional development opportunities and promote from within. Starting salary will depend on selected applicant’s experience and will be set within the context of established Free Press pay ranges for similar work.
Benefits include generous amount of vacation, health-related and personal time off each year, employer-provided group health insurance, retirement contribution, short- and long-term disability insurance and other progressive benefits and perks.
Free Press is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We value excellence and diversity in our workforce. We strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals.
Complete our online application here:
You’ll have the opportunity to tell us about yourself and your employment history. You will also be required to submit three samples of your writing.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Applications will be reviewed as they are received and this position will remain open until filled. The search committee will contact applicants of interest directly.
Due to the anticipated volume of applications, please do not contact us to inquire about your status.
We will acknowledge receipt of your application.