UNITED SOUTH END SETTLEMENTS
United South End Settlements (USES) is a community-based nonprofit organization serving children, teens, adults, and seniors through programs in art, education, technology, and social services. USES has held true to its settlement house roots, committing to the motto of neighbors helping neighbors to grow and thrive. Our extended family is an integrated team of participants, staff, volunteers, community leaders, and business partners. USES operates in three locations in the South End ; Harriet Tubman House, South End House, the Children’s Art Centre ; and Camp Hale on Squam Lake in New Hampshire. Please visit our website at www.uses.org.
The Camp Hale season is two and a half months long with five camping sessions ; rookie camp for boys 6 to 10, session I for boys 7 to 10 years old, session II for boys 11 to 14 years old, father son weekend for boys 6 and older, and session III for girls 8 to 14 years old. During camp sessions pairs of counselors work together providing 24-hour supervision to a cabin group of 6 to 8 campers of diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds. The residential aspect of Camp Hale enables the agency to provide children with more in-depth guidance, support, and opportunities for personal growth. The important partnerships that develop with both parents and children can extend across the calendar year.
Summer 2014 Camp Staff must be available from June 8th through August 27th.
Training week: June 9th through June 20th
Father Son Weekend (boys ages 7 and up): June 20th through June 22nd
Rookie Camp (boys ages 6-10): June 25th through June 29th
1st session (ages 7-10): June 25th through July 13th
2nd session (ages 11-14): July 17th through August 9th
3rd Session training week: August 9th through August 13th
3rd Session (Girls ages 8-14) August 13th through August 25th
The location of this job is 93 Milbridge Road, Center Sandwich, NH.
Camp Hale provides room and board.
Under the supervision of the Camp Hale Director and other designated staff (Assistant Director, Program Director, etc.) counselors live with campers and participate in all daily routine activities. The Assistant Cook is a counselor who in addition to providing guidance, leadership, and support, also works with the Head Cook to plan and prepare meals which meet the nutritional needs of the campers and staff. The Assistant Cook is supervised by the Head Cook.
Candidate must be at least 18 years old and have a high-school diploma or GED and possess a high level of maturity. Preference will be given to candidates with youth-related work experiences, camping experience, and/or one year of college. The ability to work successfully with inner-city campers and other camp personnel is required. Bilingual capacity in English/Spanish is helpful.
1. Participates in the planning and preparation of meals which meet the nutritional needs of the campers and staff.
2. Assists the Head Cook to maintain inventories and food orders.
3. Assists in the preparation of meals, snacks, and special food requests.
4. Live with a group of 6 to 8 campers and help each camper adjust to life at camp.
5. Encourage the participation of individual campers in all camp activities.
6. Implement camp-positive discipline policy and ensure that campers follow health-and-safety routines.
7. Participate in pre-camp and mid-camp training weeks. Assist in setting up camp and maintaining an orderly physical environment that promotes optimal growth and development of campers.
8. Attend staff meetings.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS (with or without accommodation)
• Must be able to climb, balance, kneel, crouch, reach, stand, walk, lift, finger, grasp, feel, talk, hear, and be capable of repetitive motion
• Position requires exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or a 20 pounds of force constantly
• Work requires close visual acuity
• Position is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principal function of the job identified and shall not be considered a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the job.
To apply, please email resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
In the subject line, please specify the position to which you are applying.
No phone calls, please.
566 Columbus Avenue
Boston, Massachusetts 02118