One Acre Fund is looking for an exceptional individual to serve as Business Development Manager. This position will help design and carry out a strategy to engage bilateral and multilateral organizations in country mission offices and head offices to support our work. Additionally, the role will support identification and engagement with the world’s large family and corporate foundations. The Business Development Manager will serve as a spokesperson for the organization in African capitals while simultaneously shepherding complex, large-scale funding proposals from identification to development to fruition. Through strategic communications and expert relationship management, the Business Development Manager will secure major, multi-year commitments from multilaterals, bilaterals, and foundations. This is an excellent position for a highly skilled and experienced professional looking for a meaningful development opportunity.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The Business Development Manager will perform the following and other duties as assigned:
- Bilateral/Multilateral Business Development (35%) – Help design and implement the organization’s public sector fundraising strategy. Pursue partnerships with multilateral and bilateral agencies. Develop successful multi-million dollar funding proposals to support the organization, shepherding proposals through all required stages and decision-making processes. Manage the required reporting and continued development of successful proposals. Provide expertise and guidance to One Acre Fund field and corporate staff on the technical requirements and processes of these proposals.
- Foundation Business Development (35%) – Help design and implement the organization’s foundation fundraising strategy. Scour the globe for large family and corporate foundations. Develop relationships with new prospective funders and guide prospective funders towards multi-year, unrestricted funding – with tasks and responsibilities similar to above.
- Global Spokesperson (20%) – Serve as an articulate and enthusiastic spokesperson for the organization, demonstrating an understanding of the organization’s core model, approach, and the context in which it operates. Speak on behalf of the organization at international conferences in topics such as Food Security, Agriculture, Microfinance, Poverty Alleviation, and East Africa Development. Speaking engagements for this role are located primarily in East Africa, but also occasionally require travel to other parts of Sub-Saharan Africa, Europe, the US, and Asia.
- Internal Coordination (10%) – Establish and maintain relationships with internal stakeholders and partners (Policy, Communications, Field, and Finance teams). Collaborate with One Acre Fund’s senior management team.
Career Growth and Development
One Acre Fund invests in building management and leadership skills. Your manager will invest significant time in your career development. We provide constant, actionable feedback delivered through mentorship and through regular management consulting-style career reviews. We also have regular one-on-one meetings, where we listen to and discuss career goals, and work collaboratively to craft roles that each person can be passionate about. Because of our rapid growth, we constantly have new high-level roles opening up and opportunities in many functions. This results in fast career growth for our staff.
Professional Qualifications and Requirements
Although we would ideally like someone with prior business development experience, we would also consider non-traditional candidates. Most importantly we seek an individual with a keen business mind, strong presentation and relationship-building skills, and a passion for global development and social enterprise work. The successful candidate will possess the following skills and attributes:
- Speaks the language of business. We are seeking someone that speaks the language of business – e.g., a current or former consultant, MBA, etc. Candidates should have a working knowledge of budgeting and financial planning (especially in a non-profit context), and fluency in Excel.
- Values fit. We put a high premium on values. We want someone who has a true service orientation and humility – someone that puts our farmers before themselves.
- People-orientation. We do not need an extreme extrovert, but we are seeking someone who wants to spend their day building relationships with people by pursuing referrals, attending conferences and networking events, etc. We are seeking someone with excellent communications and presentation skills.
- Willingness to travel. This role will have up to 20-30% travel, within Africa and other international destinations. Dates of travel are highly flexible.
- Strong Grasp of Fundraising Fundamentals. The ideal candidate will also have past experience in international fundraising, preferably with bilaterals and multilaterals, as well as past experience managing relationships with a broad array of prospective partners and funders.
- Language: English required.
The following personal attributes are desired:
- A deep commitment to serving the poor.
- A passion for One Acre Fund’s program
- Comfort and experience working with individuals from diverse backgrounds and locations.
- High energy level, and a personable, flexible, tenacious, diplomatic, and respectful demeanor.
- Proven ability to serve as a team player and leader able to motivate and inspire staff and colleagues.
- Entrepreneurial spirit.
- A sense of humor.
Up to 20-30% domestically and internationally.
Preferred Start Date
As soon as possible.
Commensurate with experience.
Health insurance, immunizations, flight, room and board.
Sponsor International Candidates
How to apply
Complete this form. You will be prompted to submit your CV and cover letter. You may also be asked to submit work samples for some positions. Returned Peace Corps Volunteers (RPCVs), please submit a copy of your Description of Service (DOS) in the appropriate section.
Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya
Kigali, Kigali, Rwanda