Asian Americans for Equality, Inc. (AAFE) is currently looking to fill two full-time positions for Business Counselor to implement the Flushing Small Business Assistance Program (FSBAP). The Business Counselor is a full-time, exempt position, responsible for managing various tasks associated with business outreach and information dissemination, in-take and referral of small business clients, and implementation of a comprehensive customer attraction, marketing and wayfinding program. These positions will serve as the primary liaison between small businesses and the FSABP project team. Under supervision of the Program Director, these positions will be part of meetings with city government agencies, real estate and community stakeholders to inform and solicit feedback for the project, while promoting AAFE’s goals and objectives for this program.
The ideal candidate is a self-starter who is comfortable working independently, as well as in a team-oriented setting. These positions will be based in Flushing, Queens. Successful candidates for these positions must be bilingual in Mandarin and/or Koreanincluding speaking, reading and writingin order to work effectively with small businesses. Candidates must also possess experience and a passion for working with businesses on economic development and neighborhood revitalization.
Essential Functions of the Position:
- Build relationships and trust with small business stakeholders;
- Conduct outreach and in-take of businesses into the program, and be able to refer businesses to technical assistance and loan programs as needed;
- Conduct surveys with businesses, consumers and other relevant community stakeholders;
- Facilitate meetings and feedback sessions with business stakeholders to gain their participation;
- Provide periodic reports on project progress or key issues and findings;
- Assist in the coordination of special events and other tasks that may be necessary to advance AAFE’s organizational mission;
- Assist with reporting and other deliverables to funders, and any other tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- BA required with at least 3 years relevant work experience in entrepreneurship, business counseling, marketing, field campaigns, or a related field;
- Knowledge of business development, real estate, urban planning, or community organizing preferred;
- Fluency in Mandarin and/or Korean (speaking, reading, writing) required;
- Excellent speaking, writing, presentation, and critical analysis skills;
- Ability to work with a diverse staff and flexibility to work on multiple tasks under pressure;
- Ability to work independently and in a team-oriented environment.
Work Environment/Physical Requirements
- Primarily office work;
- Attending night and weekend meetings, as required.