SouthCoast Energy Challenge
Seeking Bi(Tri)-Lingual Project Coordinator
2013 Dinamismo Initiative
About the Challenge & Project Coordinator Description:
The Southeastern Environmental Education Alliance (SEEAL) launched the SouthCoast Energy Challenge, a community energy savings campaign, to engage and mobilize residents to become more thoughtful energy consumers. The primary focus of the SouthCoast Energy Challenge Dinamismo Initiative will be meaningful involvement of non- & limited-English speaking populations in New Bedford and Fall River, MA. Bi-lingual educational materials, community organizing in minority communities, and public workshops will be delivered in Spanish and Portuguese, and focused on energy efficiency. This Project Coordinator will work closely with Challenge staff. Some of the work will be in our New Bedford and Dartmouth offices, but predominantly, the work will be in the community at large. We are seeking college-aged or older applicants for this position, and request a eight-month commitment.
• Assist in recruitment of bi-lingual interns from within their student populations;
• Provide technical assistance in material development and organizing strategy;
• Support development of a multi-lingual energy efficiency demonstrations to be presented at events;
• Facilitate two multi-lingual energy efficiency workshops to include how-to’s on energy efficiency;
• Engage local Spanish and Portuguese leaders;
• Door-to-door canvassing in targeted neighborhoods, and tabling at community events;
• Spanish/Portuguese language presentations at churches, schools, and neighborhood associations;
• Implement media strategy for radio, television, and print media;
• Reach personal weekly goals of outreach and new Challenge registrations; and
• Other tasks: Blog posts, data entry and database maintenance, social media.
• Fluency in English, Spanish, and Portuguese
• A demonstrated interest in energy and sustainability-related issues
• Eagerness for learning and practicing grassroots organizing skills
• Excellent social skillsability to fearlessly talk to anyone!
• Persistence, flexibility, creativity, and enthusiasm
• Valid driver’s license and personal transportation
• Own laptop
• Aged 18 or older
Timeline & Compensation:
Beginning as soon as possible: Schedule will be flexible in consideration of school commitments. Some weekday office hours will be assigned. Project Coordinator will be required to work evenings and weekends. Will work a total of 15-20 hours per week. This Project Coordinator will likely receive $15/hour. For more information, visit www.southcoastenergychallenge.
Submit resume and cover letter right away, to: firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail to: SEEAL/SouthCoast Energy Challenge, 63 Union Street, New Bedford, MA 02740.