About GRID Alternatives
Founded during the 2001 California energy crisis, GRID Alternatives' (www.gridalternatives.org) mission is to empower communities in need by providing renewable energy and energy efficiency services, equipment, and training. GRID believes in a just install solar electric systems for low-income homeowners with volunteers and job trainees, enhancing long-term housing affordability for low-income households by reducing their energy costs, and expanding economic opportunity for job seekers by providing skills and training in the growing field of solar all while increasing the implementation of solar as a renewable energy source.
About Solar Corps
The Solar Corps is an opportunity for highly motivated and enthusiastic people to join GRID Alternatives for a one-year term. This is a position with a potential for future growth within the organization. Corps members will gain valuable experience in the solar and non-profit industry to help launch their career while making significant contributions to GRID Alternatives and the broader community.
General Job Duties
- Work directly with the Bay Area Development Officer and Bay Area Regional Director to maintain and increase donations from corporate, foundation and individual supporters in the SF Bay Area
- Help to implement our popular corporate-sponsored workday program
- Acknowledge donors and track donations using ourSalesforce CRM database
- Maintain database to provide status reports on funds requested, projected, and received, as well as analysis reporting, customized queries as requested, etc.
- Provide regular reports on Bay Area donations
- Assist with grant proposals to Bay Area foundations: research potential funders, write proposals, manage grant calendar/deadlines, and write grant reports.
- Represent the organization to potential donors, funders and sponsors
- Attend community & networking events to represent organization
- Assist in the coordination of fundraising, cultivation, and stewardship events including logistics, sponsors, donations, volunteers, invitations, etc. Fellow will take the lead in raising in-kind donations of food, prizes, and supplies.
- Write regular blog posts and stories about donors, volunteers and homeowners served by our programs. Coordinate emailing of special appeals. Organize and maintain blog, email appeal and story archives, and collateral inventory. Produce reports/analysis on appeal performance.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Excellent interpersonal, phone and written communication skills. You must be able to meet directly with funders/sponsors and speak effectively, professionally and passionately about the work of the organization, as well as communicate effectively and passionately via email, phone and written proposals
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills including Excel, Word, databases, Powerpoint
- Comfortable working with high-level donors and volunteers
- Capacity to create positive relationships with community supporters and funders
- High level of organizational skills and outstanding attention to detail
- Comfortable soliciting businesses and individuals for monetary or in-kind support
- Ability to shift priorities, work independently, and meet deadlines
- Commitment to fulfill a year of service with GRID Alternatives
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Passion for renewable energy, affordable housing, the environment/environmental justice
- Fundraising or sales experience
- Public relations experience
- Existing relationships with potential donors/corporate sponsors
- High degree of flexibility and enthusiasm
- Interest in fundraising and donor relations
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience
- Experience with Salesforce CRM
- Interest and/or experience in social media as a development tool
- Desire for a development, marketing or public relations career
- Skills in graphic design and/or video editing experience a major plus
Travel and Work Schedule
This position may require work on weekends as well as travel throughout the Bay Area. GRID Alternatives provides travel reimbursement or City CarShare, but applicant must hold a valid driver's license.
All Solar Corps members are provided with hourly compensation at $8.00/hr, health and dental benefits, generous paid time off, continuing education opportunities, and an additional $3,600 end of year award upon completion of the one-year program. The Development Fellow is a non-exempt, 40 hour per week position.
How to apply
Submit resume and cover letter at www.gridalternatives.org/jobs. Click on the Bay Area Solar Corps Development Fellow link. Please do not email or call GRID Alternatives. We are looking to hire immediately ; position open until filled. GRID Alternatives is an equal opportunity employer.
1171 Ocean Ave, Suite 200, Oakland, CA, 94608, US