Join the nation’s premier human relations/civil rights organization. We have a mission to fight anti-Semitism and hate, and to secure justice and fair treatment for all. ADL is looking for talented, passionate people who want to make a difference today!and tomorrow!
ASSOCIATE REGIONAL DIRECTOR
Based in our San Francisco Regional Office with a focus on Silicon Valley and serving the Central Pacific Region including Northern California, Utah and Hawaii, the Associate Regional Director will assist the Regional Director in planning, developing and implementing advocacy initiatives, program activities and services in the community to advance ADL’s mission within the assigned region. Assist the Regional Director in the administration of the office including office management, budget preparation and staff supervision where appropriate. Serve as back-up to the Regional Director as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Respond to and resolve complaints of discrimination, anti-Semitic incidents and other civil rights issues. Conduct in-depth fact-finding research, initiating contacts and developing sources as appropriate. Coordinate with Civil Rights Area Counsel as appropriate. Ensure that required reports are maintained.
- Develop and implement community outreach including initiatives and joint ventures with elected leaders and diverse interfaith and cross cultural organizations active within the region; e.g. African-American, Latino, LGBT, Muslim, Catholic and other faith leaders and groups.
- Recruit, develop and support lay leadership at all levels.
- Implement ADL programs and projects, tailoring them to local community needs and issues. Manage education and human relations programming such as Hate Crimes Education. Conduct training sessions as needed for attorneys, law enforcement agents, and students.
- Provide staff support and programming to lay-led committees that may include Civil Rights, Catholic-Jewish Dialogue, Government Relations, LGBT Task Force, Governor’s Holocaust Remembrance Program, and others as assigned.
- Represent ADL and give speeches in a variety of forums to promote public awareness of ADL’s mission. Respond to inquiries from the press and from members of the public, demonstrating authoritative knowledge of ADL’s policies and positions and relevant local, national and world events. Read, monitor and respond to media reports and opinion articles.
- Participate in government affairs activities, maintaining regular contact with state, local and national officials. Advocate for ADL issues in state and local legislature.
- Monitor relevant civil rights lawsuits in the region and identify potential Amicus brief involvement. Keep the Civil Rights Area Counsel informed of developments. May coordinate civil rights debates.
- Oversee assigned regional program staff and the programs for which they are responsible. Assist in the recruitment and supervision of office administrative support staff. Select and supervise interns. Ensure the smooth-functioning of the regional office in the absence of the Regional Director. May assist in budget preparation and general office management.
- Participate in fundraising events, cultivate potential donors and assist in maintaining donor relationships.
- Bachelor’s degree plus additional related college courses or professional training.
- Two to five years of progressively responsible human relations or community service experience including program and operational management experience.
- Strong administrative, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Proven ability to work with and influence a wide variety of people.
- Proven diplomatic and conflict resolution skills.
- Strong public speaking and writing skills.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Basic computer skills with Microsoft Office (i.e. Word, Outlook, Excel).
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends when necessary to represent ADL and to attend community events.
- Some travel within the region is required. Occasional overnight travel is required.
For immediate consideration, please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org , Subject: Associate Regional Director.
ADL offers a very generous benefits/vacation package. EOE.
Learn more about ADL at www.adl.org.