Phipps Community Development Corporation is seeking a qualified Assistant Teacher for Early Childhood Education. This person should be an effective addition to the classroom leadership with the ability to heavily support the lead teacher in implementing curriculum, organizing and maintaining healthy academic environment and a healthy interaction and management preschool-age children.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists the teacher in planning and maintaining a safe, clean, learning environment and
assuring the well-being and safety of the children in his/her care.
- Follows the Head Start Program Performance Standards as well as Department of Education Common Core Standards related to Universal Pre-Kindergarten.
- Exhibits a genuine nurturing, caring attitude to all children.
- Maintains a cooperative attitude of working together with the teacher, volunteers, parents, and
program specialists in planning and implementing activities
- Assists teacher to implement the developmental assessment for each child to determine the
child's strengths and areas in which each child may need help
- Plans with and assists the teacher in preparing materials and supplies in advance for activities
- Shares in the development and implementation of written lesson plans with the teacher
- Works with the teacher and Family Community Coordinator to encourage the active participation of all parents in the program
- Assists the teacher in with keeping accurate attendance records
- Becomes familiar with the teachers daily processes, procedures and duties
- Assumes the teacher's role in leading selected activities during designated parts of the class-day
- Assumes the teacher's full role in the absence of the teacher and supervises the trained
substitute who will act as the teacher assistant during that period
- Assists the teacher in safeguarding all classroom supplies and equipment
- Attend required trainings, staff meetings, and professional development opportunities as needed
- Bachelors or Associates Degree in Early Childhood Education or related field preferred. High School Diploma or GED required
- Must have 1-3 years experience working with children of preschool age
- Obtained or currently working towards Child Development Associate (CDA) certification
- Obtained or currently working towards Infectious Disease, CPR and First Aid, MAT, Food Handling and other required certifications
- Willingness to participate in an extensive employment background check, as well as, fingerprinting by the NYC Department of Investigation and clearances by the Statewide Central Register of Child Abuse and Maltreatment
- Must be able to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Ability to assist the teacher in planning and implementing activities with children ages
three and fours years, consistent with the curriculum guide, resources and training provided as well as managing a healthy learning environment that boost outcomes in comprehensive programs to meet educational, emotional, social, health, nutritional, and
psychological needs of children
- Ability to follow basic principles of early childhood development as defined in the Head Start Performance Standards and/or Department of Education Common Core Standards related to Universal Pre-Kindergarten
- Ability to establish and maintain effective, working relationships with children, parents, staff, and program specialists
- Willingness to work above and beyond to maintain the reputation of PCDC's Early Childhood Education Programs, maintain a positive attitude and eagerness that encourages learning and growth as well as have a great sense of humor!
How to apply
To apply, send resume and coverletter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
1035 East 179th Street, Bronx, NY, 10460, US