Assistant Professor of Urban Ecology
Position Number: D97497
Job Title: Assistant Professor
Department: University Honors
FTE: 1.0 benefits eligible
Job Type: Tenure Track
Posted Date: April 29, 2013
Start Date: September 2013
The University Urban Honors Program invites applications for a 9-month tenure-track position of Assistant Professor of Urban Ecology. This faculty member will ideally have demonstrated effectiveness as a classroom teacher and will participate in an interdisciplinary core curriculum focused around the ecology, history, urban policy, development, and the representation and cultural significance of cities. The successful candidate is expected to work collaboratively and across disciplines to pursue an active program of scholarly research, publication, and external grant funding. Candidates must possess a PhD degree and be committed to both environmental research and teaching ecological science and general education writing intensive courses. This position might appeal particularly to people in environmental studies, environmental science, urban ecology or landscape architecture. This position is part of a project of re-envisioning an “urban honors program.” Faculty will be expected to collaborate with students, university colleagues and community partners to create engaging learning experiences throughout the metropolitan region and to help to build a sense of small college community for students in our new residence hall.
- Teaching in the core curriculum of the University Honors program, including courses in ecological science and writing intensive seminars.
- Pursuit of an active scholarship program.
- Pursuit of external funding opportunities.
- Collaboration with scholars and professionals across campus to support the mission of the University Honors Program.
- Mentoring of undergraduate students as researchers and future professionals.
- Helping to support the development of an on-campus Honors residence program.
- PhD in hand by June 2014.
- Successful completion of a background check.
- Postdoctoral experience (1-2 years).
The starting annual salary rate for this position is competitive (dependent upon qualifications and experience] with an excellent benefits package including fully paid healthcare; a generous retirement package; and reduced tuition rates for employee, spouse or dependant at any of the Oregon University System schools.
Send c.v., letter of application, a statement of teaching philosophy and 3 letters of recommendation to:
Urban Ecology Search
University Honors Program
Portland State University
P.O. Box 751
Portland, OR 97207-0751
Electronic submissions should be sent to email@example.com with a subject line: Urban Ecology Search.
The review of applications will begin immediately and continue until finalists are identified.
Portland State University is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity institution and welcomes applications from diverse candidates and candidates who support diversity.