Do you want to help break the cycle of poverty in the poorest urban Congressional District in the US?
Are you willing to do whatever it takes to close the achievement gap?
Are you a great teacher who believes he/she can positively change the lives of your students, regardless of other environmental factors?
If you answered "yes" to the three questions above, The Bronx Charter School for Children is looking for teachers like you!
Art Teacher (K-5) for 2013 – 2014
We seek to hire and support highly committed and effective teachers who are driven to improve K-5 education in an urban setting. We are still determining our precise needs for the upcoming school year, but encourage educators who possess a "roll up my sleeves" enthusiasm and a demonstrated track record of student achievement, a minimum of 2 years in a classroom and passion for reforming urban education to apply immediately.
History of the Bronx Charter School for Children
The Bronx Charter School for Children (BCSC) is an independent, elementary charter school serving 432 students in Kindergarten through 5th grade, located in the Mott Haven section of the South Bronx in New York City. Opened in 2004 with 132 students in Kindergarten and 1st grade, BCSC's recently received charter renewal through 2016. In 2012 the school began its transition from its start-up phase to becoming a continually high performing school focused on excellence.
Educational Philosophy: BCSC adheres to the following approach to learning:
BCSC aspires to help scholars make connections between facts, foster new understanding and think critically. Teachers tailor their developmentally appropriate strategies to student responses and encourage critical thinking through analysis, interpretation and prediction – all in the context of the child's socio-emotional development, interpersonal relationships and support. As such, the learning environment facilitates a deep understanding of individual needs and targeted instruction. This strong foundation to learning and skill development propels our scholars to change their future trajectory.
Values: Members of the BCSC Community will display the following:
- Understanding and Passion for Urban Education: Drive to make a difference in vulnerable lives…inspiring children to set and achieve stretch goals…culturally sensitive: comfort and impact in the community.
- Commitment to Children: Create a positive learning environment…utilizes developmentally appropriate techniques to create and sustain a love of learning…positive and effective behavior management.
- Collaborates for a Cause: Holds self and others accountable for BCSC's mission and goals…. high energy to achieve goals, willingly crosses boundaries to achieve the mission…seeks and provides feedback to improve individual and others' performance…treats others with respect and dignity.
- Analytical/Data Driven in Pursuit of Excellence: Leverages systems and information to improve decision making and performance…makes fact based decisions…monitors performance trends to offer and measure improvement.
- Flexible/Innovative/Adaptive for Goal Attainment: Able to think outside the box and proactively seeks new solutions, ideas and approached…adaptable, open minded…takes calculated risks, strong problem solver.
- Lifelong Learner: Able to master and apply new information quickly…reflective; learns from experiences to improve performance…seeks out and leverages professional development.
Art Teacher Responsibilities: An Art Teacher at The Bronx Charter School for Children possesses outstanding abilities in:
- Instructional Skills: Produce quality lesson plans that strive for higher-level objectives yet accommodate all learning styles; maximize learning time through effective classroom management; use varied instructional techniques and apply developmentally appropriate strategies. Incorporate art history as a course of action.
- Community Oriented: Constantly seek out resources and strategies to meet student needs; communicate and collaborate effectively with all members of the community and fully strive to achieve the BCSC mission.
- Create projects that children can accomplish
- Introduce a class to a variety of media over the course of a trimester.
- Facilitate the creation of an art scope and sequence by grade while thinking about the overall required accomplishments by fifth grade
- Teach students about the technical aspects of music and evaluate their performances
- Observes and evaluates pupils' work to determine student progress or to make suggestions for improvement
- Accompany students on field trips to museums or art galleries
- Evaluate and grade students; presentations; explaining and demonstrating artistic techniques; organizing art exhibits
- Plan and supervise student contests
- Develop a school mascot
- Keeping up to date with the latest developments in their specific field
- Collaborate with classroom teachers in order to align instruction in art to classroom/school-wide themes
- Display student work throughout the building, and create an inviting, print-rich environment
Education and Training Requirements for an Art Teacher Job:
- Bachelor's Degree in art education from accredited university, Master's Degree (preferred)
- New York State Certification and ability to meet Highly Qualified Status under NCLB
- Classroom experience in an urban setting, minimum 2 years – preferably as lead teacher
How to apply
Go to our website www.TBCSC.org and submit a cover letter addressing why you would be an outstanding addition to BCSC, including responses to the short answer questions and an updated resume. Resumes without a cover letter or short answer responses will not be reviewed.
We will directly contact candidates who meet our criteria in order to arrange a phone interview. BCSC is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from individuals of all backgrounds.
Please respond to both questions in 250 words or less.
- Define your responsibilities as a support staff person as they relate to students, parents and colleagues.
- What does accountability mean within the context of a school?
388 Willis Avenue, Bronx, NY, 10454, US