The mission of Casey Trees is to restore, enhance and protect the tree canopy of the Nation’s Capital. Casey Trees is working in partnership with the District’s Department of Environment on the implementation of two important environmental initiatives, RiverSmart Homes and Tree Rebate. District residents who enroll in the RiverSmart Homes program are eligible for a stormwater audit, where various LID landscaping techniques are prescribed to reduce erosion and stormwater flows. DC DOE refers homeowners interested in tree planting to the Casey Trees arborist, who evaluates those homeowners’ properties for tree planting opportunities. Eligible homeowners pay a nominal co-pay for any tree to be planted by Casey Trees. The Casey Trees arborist will coordinate all aspects of this RiverSmart Homes tree planting effort. Additionally, owners of private land in DC are also eligible for Tree Rebate, and the arborist will coordinate with other staff, partners, and vendors for the seasonal promotion of Tree Rebate, and the review, inspection, implementation and evaluation of the rebate program.
- Learn Casey Trees “Right Tree, Right Place” methodology
- Learn DC DOE’s stormwater auditing procedures
- Coordinate with DC DOE personnel to receive audit results of qualified homeowners and review completed DOE stormwater audits
- Schedule appointments with homeowners to visit property, advise on location and species of tree(s) to be planted, and confirm and schedule tree planting
- Collect signed liability waiver, signed maintenance agreement, $50 co-pays from homeowners
- Coordinate tree species list and tree planting scheduling with other Tree Planting staff, (Director, Arborist, Urban Forestry Manager)
- Work a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends as necessary to meet appointments with homeowners
- Perform follow up with all homeowners receiving trees
- Coordinate seasonal outreach and promotion of the Tree Rebate with staff, partners, vendors, etc.
- Review, evaluate and process Tree Rebates
- Perform all documentation and reporting as required by DOE
- Provide technical and administrative support to all other Tree Planting programs including Community Tree Planting Program, other new grants, pilot projects and Fee For Service Initiatives.
- Other assignments and tasks as required
- Bachelor degree in arboriculture, horticulture, urban forestry, landscape architecture or related field, and two or more years of experience.
- ISA certification preferred
- Valid driver’s license, clean driving record, and familiarity and ability to navigate around DC a must
- Excellent communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills
- Experience with residential landscape design and tree planting a must
- Experience with Mid-Atlantic native plants a strong plus
- Experience with customer service, sales preferred
- Ability to manage multiple appointments and clients in a fast-paced non-profit environment
- An interest in and commitment to urban conservation and community forestry activities
- Proficiency with MS Office including MS Outlook and MS Excel required
Position Duration and Compensation:
This is a full time appointment starting on or after October 1st, 2013, with a starting salary range of $40,000-$45,000 commensurate with experience, with full benefits and paid holidays.
Please send letter of interest, resume, design sample, available start date, and contact information for three references “Arborist-RSH” as subject
3030 12th Street NE, Washington, District of Columbia, 20017, United States