The Lakes Region Conservation Trust (LRCT) seeks qualified candidates for the position of Administrative and Communications Coordinator. LRCT is a non-profit land trust with a mission of the permanent conservation, stewardship, and respectful use of lands that define the character of the 30-town Lakes Region of central New Hampshire. In pursuit of its mission, LRCT works to acquire title to, or conservation easements on, properties with significant conservation value and stewards these lands to ensure their protection in perpetuity. Since its founding in 1979, LRCT has completed more than 125 conservation transactions, conserving over 23,000 acres of land (over 17,000 acres owned; nearly 6,000 acres subject to conservation easements). LRCT is actively engaged in conserving additional lands throughout the region, and the organization operates an ambitious stewardship program for its conserved lands, involving the services of numerous volunteers. For more information, visit www.lrct.org.
The Administrative and Communications Coordinator is a new position that will be an integral member of LRCT’s staff team. The Administrative and Communications Coordinator will have primary responsibility for organizing and coordinating a number of LRCT’s outreach and educational activities, will play an important role in interacting with LRCT supporters and members of the community who contact the organization, visit the office, or attend LRCT events, and will provide administrative support that is essential to office operations and to the work of other members of the staff.
Principal Responsibilities and Duties
• Coordinate LRCT’s popular volunteer-led guided excursion program and other LRCT educational programs, including organizing volunteers, managing participant sign-ups, creating regular e-blasts, drafting press releases, communicating with participants and guides, and promoting the programs.
• Assist in coordinating other LRCT volunteer programs, including land stewardship and monitoring activities, office volunteering, and special events volunteering.
• Assist in the planning and organization of volunteer recognition and fundraising events.
• Assist in increasing LRCT’s visibility through such means as events, volunteer programs, and partnerships with other organizations.
• Develop and maintain LRCT’s social media presence.
• Update LRCT’s website.
• Assist other staff members in the development and production of external communications materials, including newsletters, press releases, and fundraising materials.
• Answer the telephone and return telephone inquiries and email inquiries as appropriate.
• Greet and assist members of the public when they visit the office to purchase maps or to ask questions.
• Process orders for LRCT merchandise, and coordinate the distribution of LRCT merchandise through volunteers and to retail outlets.
• Travel daily to local post office for mail pick-up and delivery; travel daily to local bank for deposits.
• Provide administrative support for other staff members (President, Land and Stewardship Director, and Operations Director), in particular in connection with preparation of bi-annual appeals for operating funds and periodic capital campaigns for land conservation projects.
Qualifications and Skills
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills.
• Ability to lead and manage volunteers and to collaborate well with staff and board members.
• Familiarity with general computer technology, including Microsoft Word and Excel and database systems.
• Experience in use of social media and WordPress website platform.
• Availability to work occasional weekend and evening hours.
• Access to vehicle and valid driver’s license for work-related travel within the Lakes Region.
• At least two years of work experience.
• College degree in a relevant field (e.g., communications, marketing, community organizing, environmental science or management) or comparable relevant work experience.
• Work or volunteer experience with a conservation or other nonprofit organization and/or general knowledge of environmental, land use, or land conservation issues is desirable but not required.
• Experience working with community groups and volunteers is desirable but not required.
• Enthusiasm for and commitment to LRCT’s land conservation mission.
Salary and Benefits
The salary and benefits for this position will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
LRCT’s headquarters is located in Center Harbor, New Hampshire. The position is full-time and will entail occasional travel to LRCT properties and to event locations.
The position is open until filled. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample (not exceeding 1,000 words), and three professional references by mail to Don Berry, President, Lakes Region Conservation Trust, PO Box 766, Center Harbor, NH 03226 or by email to email@example.com by April 30, 2014 (postmark or email date). Questions will be accepted by email.
156 Dane Road
Center Harbor, New Hampshire 03226