The Women's Housing and Economic Development Corporation (WHEDco), a Bronx-based nonprofit housing and community development organization, seeks an Academic Instructor/Activity Specialist to join its Education and Youth Development Department. WHEDco has worked for nearly twenty years to build a more beautiful, equitable, and economically vibrant Bronx. We reach 35,000 people annually through energy-efficient, healthy and affordable homes, early childhood education and youth development, family support, home-based childcare microenterprise and food business incubation. See www.whedco.org for more information.
WHEDco is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, color, religion, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.
Job Summary: In collaboration with the program director, school principal and other key stakeholders, the Academic Instructor/ Activity Specialist will lead the planning, development, and implementation of the academic enrichment component of the WHEDco MS ExTRA Extended School Day Program at The Highbridge Green School with special attention to activities that will promote literacy, social justice understanding and service learning.
- Design, develop and implement curriculum that promotes academic enrichment and social-emotional development to students in grades 6 to 8
- Lead, supervise and provide guidance to program participants five (5) times per week
- Create lesson plan; select necessary supplies
- Attend all necessary staff development training
- Encourage and lead projects that foster academic, cultural and artistic growth
- Assist in the planning of workshops and special events.
- Attend all required staff/planning meetings
- Take on special assignments which pertain to the goals and objectives of the MS ExTRA program.
- Minimum two years professional experience working with children in a classroom, after school, or community based environment leading/organizing activities. Substantial volunteer work will be considered
- Demonstrated interest in the field of education, child development or literacy preferred
- Familiarity with literacy and whole language teaching methodology desirable
- Able to work late afternoons and/or evenings
- Well organized, able to work both independently and collaboratively
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) a plus
- Current, active college enrollment or college degree preferred
- Previous work experience in low-income communities preferred
Send a cover letter and resume.
Attn: Tiffany Stewart, Coordinator of Education and Youth
FAX (718) 732-2904
50 East 168th Street, Bronx, New York, 10452, United States