The Rita Bright Family and Youth Center is a DC Department of Recreation facility managed and programmed by the Latin American Youth Center. It is located at 2500 14th St. NW, Washington, DC 20009. The Academic Coordinator will work directly with the Program Manager to implement the academic components of the LAYC Rita Bright Family and Youth Center's after-school, summer, and winter and spring break programs, including, but not limited to: recruiting, training, and managing volunteers and tutors; facilitating afterschool homework and test preparation programs; recording and tracking student performance ETO; and managing our snack incentive program. The Academic Coordinator is a full-time position (40 hours) and will report to the Program Manager.
• Assist the Program Manager select and implement academic curricula; and manage all academic programs with outside vendors and volunteers;
• Implement homework assistance and test preparation (SAT) programs, Spanish and tutor students as needed;
• Recruit tutors and volunteers to help with academic activities;
- Manage and train tutors and volunteers to use curricula and complete data collection forms;
- Enter academic outcomes and student attendance into LAYC's performance tracking system (Efforts-to-Outcomes);
- Prepare monthly parent updates with work completed at the center;
- Maintain academic records of participants such as report cards and school reports;
- Prepare snacks and supervise snack time;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Enrollment in program leading to a Bachelor's degree. Bachelors Degree preferred;
• Experience as a teacher aide or tutor in an urban classroom;
• Proficient in word processing and data management software;
• Familiarity with DC Public Schools standards of learning;
• Strong classroom management skills;
• Fluent in Spanish, preferred;
• Ward 1 resident, preferred;
• Criminal record and medical clearances; and
• Availability during hours of operation, 3-9:00 PM.
This is moderately active position that requires the ability to be on your feet for a majority of the work day as well as lift objects up to 20 lbs. May require the ability to travel locally and/or regionally.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties as necessary. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
How to apply
Please email a résumé and cover letter to LAYC HR, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1419 Columbia Road, NW, Washington, District of Columbia, 20009, United States