Our mission is to promote academic, athletic, and personal growth through a program of squash instruction, individual academic support and tutoring, health and fitness instruction, and community service. SquashDrive partners with Berkley Maynard Academy in Oakland. We have 24 students in the 4th, 5th and 6th grades in our program and look forward to expanding to at least 30 next year.
Team members participate in SquashDrive activities three hours a day, three days a week throughout the school year. The SquashDrive academic program focuses on individualized homework help and academic enrichment. The exercise program consists of on-court squash instruction and practices as well as nutrition and fitness. We also require our students to serve the community, providing them with opportunities to build community pride and involvement through a range of volunteer outings.
The primary responsibility of the SquashDrive Academic Director is to plan and implement academic opportunities and support for our students. The Academic Director will do this by developing curricula, leading after-school homework help and special projects, managing volunteers, and evaluating the efficacy of the program. The Academic Director reports directly to the SquashDrive Program Director to develop a complete program for students.
This will begin as a part-time position with an hourly wage. There is the potential for expanding the Academic Director to a 3/4 time or full time, salaried position with a benefits package.
The Academic Director will oversee the SquashDrive academic program. He or she will primarily:
- Develop curricula for SquashDrive students by:
Meeting individually with students to assess strengths and weaknesses and to create individual goals
Meeting with teachers and parents to build an action plan for students to meet their goals
Researching California grade-level guidelines to develop age-appropriate assignments
- Implement curricula and academic programming by:
Leading classroom activities for groups of students that build on school assignments
Working individually with students in subjects where they struggle
Training volunteers and matching them with students based on their strengths and interests
- Assess and revise the academic program by:
Reviewing students’ academic transcripts and identifying areas of improvement and concern
Create metrics for the overall efficacy of the program
- Aid in grant-writing
SquashDrive is looking for a dynamic and driven individual who:
- Is committed to SquashDrive’s mission
- Has 1-2 years of work experience in education
- Has experience designing and implementing programs serving youth in Oakland or a comparable urban area
- Is knowledgeable and passionate about offering educational opportunities to low-income youth in Oakland
- Has leadership experience training and supervising volunteers
- Strong relationships with organizations and agencies working on public education in Oakland a plus
- Has strong verbal communication skills in order to communicate effectively with diverse constituencies including middle school students, teachers, volunteers, parents, and community members
- Spanish fluency a plus
- Has a Bachelors degree; a Masters in Education is a plus
- Is comfortable in a fast-paced, high-energy, entrepreneurial environment
- Is comfortable managing multiple projects and duties at once
- Is willing to work evenings and weekends as required by the duties of this position
SquashDrive values diversity and seeks to build and sustain a diverse staff. SquashDrive is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
PO Box 99165, Emeryville, CA, 94662, US