Seattle Nativity School (SNS) is a Catholic, Jesuit-endorsed STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) middle school seeking to break the cycle of poverty through education that nourishes souls and ignites leaders for love and service. The school opened its doors in September of 2013 to its first class of 6th graders. Eventually, SNS will serve youth in 5th through 8th grades from low-income families, offering a challenging and supportive learning environment to motivated students of all faiths. SNS runs a required 4 week Summer Academy for its newly admitted 6th graders and its rising 7th graders. The goal is to graduate young men and women for others who are: spiritually alive, open to growth, committed to justice, intellectually competent, and loving.
6th/7th Grade STEM Teacher Position Description
The 6th/7th grade STEM teacher will collaborate with a dynamic team made up of teachers, interns, volunteers, staff and administration to help host the SNS four;week Summer Academy. In September, the 6th/7th grade STEM teacher's job will be to provide the sixth and seventh grade students with developmentally appropriate STEM learning activities, experiences, and assessments to foster intellectual, spiritual, physical and social growth, targeting grade level Common Core and Next Generation Science Standards and competencies. Our Accelerated Learning Model includes five core elements: inquiry based, real world, interconnected, results-driven and customized curricula [See http://www.seattlenativity.org/about-us/seattle-nativity-model/]. The 6th grade curriculum is very biology focused whereas 7th grade concentrates on earth sciences.
- Creates and implements classroom rules to manage student behavior for the purpose of providing a safe and optimal learning environment.
- Implements a standards-based, academically vigorous curriculum targeting remediation and grade level proficiency.
- Utilizes data-based best practices, normative and summative assessments, diverse teaching methods, technology, and differentiation to provide effective and engaging instruction.
- Monitors students in a variety of educational settings (e.g. classroom, school grounds, hallways, lunchroom, restrooms, field trips, extended day, etc.) to provide a safe and positive learning environment.
- Communicates effectively with the administration, colleagues, interns and volunteers, parents and/or legal guardians.
- Presents a positive faith-based role model for students and families.
- Collaborates with administration, other school personnel, parents and community partners.
- Proactively identifies and develops ways to improve school performance as SNS builds out the school.
- Assists in the selection of books, equipment and other instructional materials.
- Supervises assistant teachers, interns, and/or volunteer workers.
- Prepares a variety of written materials for a variety of purposes.
- Communicates classroom curricular goals and the SNS mission effectively and passionately to a variety of audiences.
- Operates standard office equipment including educational software applications.
- Performs other related duties, including extra-curricular activities, as assigned.
- Enthusiastically and flexibly fills in as needed, teaming with the small SNS staff
- A dynamic, licensed teacher with a proven track record ofsuccessful standards-based middle level STEM instruction for urban youth, especially in biology (6th), earth sciences (7th) and math (6th/7th).
- Ability to workproactively, collaboratively,inclusively, andrespectfully with others.
- Keen understanding of the flexibility and innovation inherent in a startup school.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Experience working with diverse students and communities facing economic and social challenges.
- Ability to develop and implement a learning environment promoting Catholic Identity.
- Enthusiastic commitment to the Jesuit tradition of education and the mission of Nativity Schools.
Working Environment: Ability to work under limited supervision; work as a team; track some limited expenditures; and meet physical demands including lifting and carrying. Generally the job requires 15% sitting, 60% walking, and 25% standing.
Education and Experience: MA in teaching and/or related field (biology, earth science, math, engineering etc.) and/or equivalent experience
Certificates & Licenses: WA State teacher's certification and /or proof of licensure from another state and willingness to meet WA state requirements.
Clearances: Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance as well as ongoing Safe-Environment Training with the Seattle Archdiocese.
Salary and benefits: Offer is competitive with leading Independent, Public and Catholic School salaries in the Seattle area.
How to apply
- Send letter of interest, resume of experience, and the names of 3 people (include telephone and e-mail address) who have worked with you within the past5 years to email@example.com
- Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis; we hope to complete the hiring process by April 30th.
- Questions may be directed to Renee Willette (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- PLEASE NOTE: If you wish your candidacy to be confidential, please identify at least 1 person who may be contacted as a reference before the deadline indicated above, and include the confidentiality request in your cover letter.
PO Box 20730, Seattle, WA, 98102, US