Start Date: July 2014
Location: Brooklyn, NY
About Achievement First:
Achievement First is a non-profit charter school management organization that is creating a network of achievement-gap-closing public schools in Rhode Island, New York, Connecticut and other high-need areas in the Northeast. Achievement First currently operates 25 schools in Providence, Brooklyn, New Haven, Bridgeport and Hartford. Over 90% of our students are Black and Latino. Over the next five years, Achievement First plans to open 10-15 additional schools, spanning the full K-12 spectrum and creating college-prep opportunities for more than 12,000 students. Beyond our students and schools, Achievement First is an engaged and prominent partner in the larger conversation about how to improve public education and student achievement in our country. For more information about the Achievement First mission, approach, our schools and team, please visit our website at www.achievementfirst.org.
Teaching at Achievement First:
Achievement First invites passionate educators to apply for the position of high school history teacher for the 2014-2015 school year. Teaching at Achievement First is an ideal position for an educator with deep passion for instruction who is eager to gain rigorous development to help perfect his/her craft. In addition to participating in weekly professional development and team planning meetings, teachers receive consistent high-impact coaching and feedback from a school administrator or teacher-leader. Furthermore, Achievement First has recently launched Teacher Career Pathway, a systematic, coordinated approach to recognizing and developing great teachers as they progress through five career stages. These stages were developed to celebrate excellent teachers and are accompanied by increased compensation, recognition and professional development opportunities. Achievement First is committed to recruiting, developing and retaining excellent teachers.
Responsibilities of Achievement First School Teachers Include but Are Not Limited to:
- Outstanding academic achievement and student character development
- Create a positive, achievement-oriented and structured learning environment that excites and invests students.
- Motivate students to realize high academic and behavioral standards.
- Build classroom community by investing families in children’s academic success and development of REACH values (REACH stands for Respect, Enthusiasm, Achievement, Citizenship and Hard work).
- Utilize data from Achievement First’s interim assessments to drive instruction and intervention.
- Design and implement unit and lesson plans in collaboration with grade or subject team.
- Hold all students accountable during transitions, meals, trips and school events.
- Exemplify AF’s core values in all interactions with students, families and colleagues.
- Professional learning, development, and growth
- Collaborate with coach, grade-level chair and school team to improve instructional, culture-building and leadership skills.
- Attend all professional development, team planning and data analysis meetings.
- Participate enthusiastically in structured and informal learning and development opportunities.
Skills and Characteristics
- Strong instructional and classroom management skills.
- High level of personal organization and planning.
- Team player: maturity, humility, strong work ethic, follow-through, sense of humor, willingness to respond positively to feedback and a “roll-up-my-sleeves” attitude.
- Strong belief in the Achievement First mission and educational model.
- Mastery of and enthusiasm for subject matter.
Educational Background and Work Experience
- Two years of teaching experience highly preferred with a proven record of high student achievement.
- Bachelor’s degree from a competitive college or university; Master’s degree preferred.
- Willingness to seek valid state certification if needed.
- Requires a degree in history or prior high school history teaching experience.
Salary for this position is very competitive and commensurate with experience. Additionally, Achievement First offers a comprehensive benefits package. Teachers receive funds for supplies and materials as well as a laptop computer.
How to apply
To Learn More About AF and Apply:
Please visit the Achievement First careers site at http://www.achievementfirst.org/careers/. Achievement First is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Spanish language proficiency is a plus. You can learn more about diversity at Achievement First here: http://www.achievementfirst.org/about-us/diversity/.