Position Available with Small Private Operating Foundation
This private operating foundation is the philanthropic arm of one of the region’s leading real estate development companies. With a commitment to collaborating with local communities, the environment and all people, the Foundation contributes to communities in Philadelphia and overseas both financially and through building and maintaining long term relationships with impactful organizations.
The Foundation plans, organizes and executes one full day of service each month for 5-150 volunteers per event. The Foundation’s Philadelphia program provides direct support to high performing Philadelphia public non-charter elementary schools through helping with grant applications, sitting on task forces, assisting with technology and more. Partnerships with an eclectic group of community groups allows the Foundation to get involved in alleviating poverty and providing resources in areas with significant need.
The Foundation’s international programs are focused in the developing world. To date, projects have included programming in the fields of education, food & medical assistance, microfinance and community initiatives. The Foundation maintains 5-10 active microloans, nearly 80 active scholarships at any given time and recently funded the construction of a community water tank, a safe kitchen in a home for orphaned or abandoned children who are physically and mentally handicapped and awarded a grant to provide small business start-up funding for entrepreneurs who are PLWHAs (People Living With HIV and AIDS).
The Foundation operates with a full-time staff of 1 but in partnership with the employees of the company. The Founder is intricately involved in decisions and overall direction of the organization. You should expect to split time between offices in Montgomery County and Philadelphia’s Chinatown neighborhood.
The Foundation is seeking a bright, energetic, committed person with a commitment to social justice and an understanding of the issues and obstacles facing Philadelphia and the developing world.
- Assist in coordinating monthly volunteer events (5-150 volunteers) and larger scale community initiatives (annual community festival, Thanksgiving meal distribution)- administratively, organizationally, interactively, and programmatically
- Participate actively in the organization’s education programs including attendance at SRC meetings and providing support to our ‘adopted’ schools (grant writing, event coordination and advocacy)
- Assist with creation of programs and initiatives designed to combat citywide issues
- Act as primary manager of budget and basic accounting for all programs
- Assistance in education, health, microfinance, community efforts and grant-making programs in the developing world
- Establish new and expand existing partnerships with local organizations in each of our geographic focus areas.
- Assist in identifying opportunities for expansion into new geographic and focus areas
A successful applicant will take part in identifying opportunities where the company can make a positive contribution to communities through project development or asset management. The position will also contribute to research into opportunities to restore neglected or needy buildings in the City.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Competency in project management and ability to create and manage a timeline
- Strong time management skills with ability to effectively multi-task and prioritize to meet deadlines
- Highly organized
- Understanding of social media outlets (at least Facebook, Twitter and Instagram)
- Ability to evaluate and adapt communication style for diverse partners in Philadelphia, Kenya and Ivory Coast
- Familiarity with the City of Philadelphia’s neighborhoods
- Excellent interpersonal and team skills
- Strong work ethic & ability to do whatever it takes to get the job done
- Valid driver’s license and own vehicle
- Excellent written and oral communications skills in English
- Fluency in Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel
- Experience working in a non-profit or private foundation a plus
- Experience in event planning a plus
- Conversant in French and/or Swahili a plus
How to apply
To submit your application, please send a cover letter and resume toHR350@comcast.net with the subject line “Job opportunity”. All applications should be received by November 1, 2013
630 Sentry Parkway, Suite 300, Blue Bell, PA, 19422, US