Policy and Leadership
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- President Barack Obama’s new Climate Action Plan (June 25, 2013)
- Supreme Court Koontz Decision Impacts Municipalities Planning for Adaptation. – Lincoln Institute’s Anthony Flint in Atlantic Cities
- Center for American Progress – Shelter from the Superstorm, June 2013
Local Solutions and Case Studies
- Interim Report compiled by NH Listens for the Town of Exeter, NH’s Climate Adaptation Planning for Exeter (CAPE). Climate Adaptation Plan communications example. Click here for project details.
Planning and Process
- Coming Soon
- The American Institute of Architects New York Chapter (AIANY) and its Design for Risk and Reconstruction Program Committee (DfRR), in partnership with numerous organizations from the design community, issued a report in July 2013 detailing options and opportunities for rebuilding efforts and for preparing the city for future storms. The Post-Sandy Initiative report, Building Better, Building Smarter: Opportunities for Design and Development, examines the storm’s effects on buildings, neighborhoods and the region and offers short, medium, and long term steps to build back better and smarter. http://www.aia.org/advocacy/AIAB098889
Community Engagement and Communication
- Carbon Solutions New England ; New Hampshire’s Climate: Past and Future Changes Climate Change communications flyer example.
- Conference Partner Resources
- AUNE Faculty & Student Work
- Small Business Planning in a Changing Climate. Environmental Leader article, featuring Nancy Schneider of Catalysis Adaptation Partners, LLC. October 1, 2013.
- Vermont’s Roadmap to Resilience Preparing for Natural Disasters and the Effects of Climate Change in the Green Mountain State. Institute for Sustainable Communities.
- 6th Annual Local Energy Solutions Conference ; April 12th, 2014, Tilton, NH
Save The Date – The NH Local Energy Work Group is hosting the 6th Annual Local Energy Solutions Conference on April 12th, 2014 at Winnisquam Regional High School in Tilton, NH. This full-day training and networking event highlights local energy projects, planning and solutions for representatives from local energy committees, municipalities, schools, counties and energy efficiency/renewable energy enthusiasts. Learn more at nhenergy.org.
Additional Information & Networking
- Essay on communicating climate change science in face of denial and related books. Summary or findings of work through the Yale Forum on Climate Change and the Media, in Journal of Environmental Studies and Science (JESS)
- CAKE – Climate Adaptation Knowledge Exchange (CAKE) was founded by EcoAdapt and Island Press in July 2010, and is managed by EcoAdapt. It aims to build a shared knowledge base for managing natural and built systems in the face of rapid climate change. Just as importantly, it is intended to help build an innovative community of practice.
- Climate Change Preparedness and the Small Business Sector, July 2013, by American Sustainable Business Council (ASBC) & Small Business Majority. This report outlines how small businesses can emerge as leaders in climate preparedness by maximizing climate-related opportunities and minimizing climate-related risks. Small businesses can simultaneously minimize losses from extreme weather by strategically investing to make their businesses more resilient; by developing business continuity plans and by engaging with their local communities to increase education on responding to climate change.
- Climate Change is Already Costing New Hampshire (lots of) Money, by Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC). This piece includes many strong statistics about economic losses due to impacts to tourism, including snow-dependent industries. Cites other key impacts to foliage, fishing, farming, maple sugaring, and health. http://switchboard.nrdc.org/blogs/premick/climate_change_is_costing_new.html
- “Cost-Efficient Climate Change Adaptation in the North Atlantic, Final Report July 2013” National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) & Rutgers University. Community resiliency efforts in Northeast, case studies, funding sources, and components of plans.
- Proposed new Next Generation Science Standards – http://www.nextgenscience.org/next-generation-science-standards & as reported by NPR http://www.npr.org/2013/03/27/174141194/a-hot-topic-climate-change-coming-to-classrooms
- Click here to send us your ideas for new resources: Submit a Resource
- Coming Soon