All master’s programs have a minimum number of expected semesters and a specified expected study sequence. Expected study sequences are described in detail on the academic departments’ web pages
Students with special circumstances requiring them to alter the expected study sequence must complete an Application for Extended or Modified Program of Study and an accompanying program plan form, which lays out the proposed plan of study, semester by semester.
There are a variety of circumstances under which a student might apply for this status:
- Students unable to sustain the minimum number of credits specified by their department and need additional semesters beyond the minimum to complete degree requirements, for example.
- Students doing an internship or practicum at a location far enough away from AUNE that they cannot take other classes/credits can file a program plan showing, for example, one four-credit practicum semester, and an additional semester beyond the minimum number of semesters.
- Students returning to finish a degree or obtain a NH teacher certification endorsement may only need a reduced credit load for one or two terms to finish their requirements.
- Students with enough transfer or continuing education credits may also be able to modify their program possibly to shorten their program by one semester, or to take a reduced credit load in one or more terms of their required minimum number of semesters.
- Only students with transfer or continuing education credits taken not more than five years before matriculation are eligible to shorten their program.
- Only Students with approved modified programs of study (must be on file in the Registrar’s Office) are eligible to enroll in fewer than stated minimum number of credits specified by their department.
More information and instructions accompany the Application for Extended or Modified Program of Study.