Michael H. Simpson (MS, MA)Department Chair and Core Faculty, and Director for the Center for Climate Preparedness and Community Resilience
Department of Environmental Studies
Program Director, Resource Management and Conservation Masters Degree and Sustainable Development and Climate Change Masters Degree Concentration
My recent and current practical work within the environmental consulting field includes:
1) For the US Forest Service, conducting Phase I (ASTM) Environmental Site Assessments in the Green Mountain National Forest of Vermont.
2) For New York City’s Economic Development Corporation and the New York City Dept. of Sanitation, completing a feasibility study to establish a composting or anaerobic digestion facility for the food waste from the NYC’s Hunt’s Point Produce Market and the Fulton Fish Market.
3) For the City of Concord, NH, mapping and classifying (USFWS classification system) the wetlands so to inform their master planning process.
4) For the Massachusetts Department of Consevation and Recreation, completion of an environmental, historical and natural resource assessment of a proposed composting facility at a former Nike Missile Launcher site in the Blue Hills Reservation.
5) For a private client, wetland jurisditional delineation and associated wetland mitigation plan for a pond installation utilizing the hydrology of an on-site forested wetland.
6) For the German Ministry for Economic Development (GTZ), assessment of the economic impacts to both the waste management system and regional economy of recycling by urban and dump scavengers in Lima,Peru; Cairo Eygpt and Pune, India.