- Text Analysis Info
“A free information source for everything that deals with the analysis of content of human communication, mostly but not limited to text. Several programs support the coding of audio, video, or even chatroom sources.”
“A powerful workbench for the qualitative analysis of large bodies of textual, graphical, audio and video data. It offers a variety of tools for accomplishing the tasks associated with any systematic approach to “soft” data, (e.g., material which cannot be analyzed by formal, statistical approaches in meaningful ways). In the course of such a qualitative analysis, ATLAS.ti helps you to uncover the complex phenomens hidden in your data in an exploratory way. For coping with the inherent complexity of the tasks and the data, ATLAS.ti offers a powerful and intuitive environment that keeps you focused on the analyzed materials. The main strategic modes of operation can be termed “VISE”: Visualization, Integration, Serendipity and Exploration.” For $175 you can get an unlimited single STUDENT LICENSE.
- QSR (Mac & PC)
“New from QSR, N6 is the latest version of the NUD*IST software used for code-based qualitative analysis. It combines efficient management of Non-numerical Unstructured Data with powerful processes of Indexing, Searching, and Theorizing. Designed for researchers making sense of complex data, N5 offers a complete toolkit for rapid coding, thorough exploration and rigorous management and analysis. With a full command language for automating coding and searching, N5 powerfully supports a wide range of methods. Its command files and import procedures make project setup very rapid, linking qualitative and quantitative data.”
It looks like QSR has focused all its development energies on the flexible & refined QSR NVivo 7 which “combines cutting edge innovation with the best features of QSR’s pragmatic, robust workhorse N6 (formerly NUD*IST) and flexible, fluid analysis tool NVivo 2. The result is a powerful yet user-friendly program that accommodates the widest range of research methods. NVivo 7 allows you to combine subtle analysis with linking, shaping, searching and modelling. Regardless of the type of data or the language it is in, NVivo 7 is also ideal for team projects and research involving multiple methods. If your challenge involves handling very rich text-based information, where deep levels of analysis on both small and large volumes of data are required, then NVivo 7 is your answer.” Available in 12-month student license for $200.
- HyperRESEARCH 2.6(Mac & PC)
“Available in Macintosh and PC formats, HyperRESEARCH v2.6 enables you to code and retrieve, build theories, and conduct analyses of your data. Now with advanced multimedia capabilities, HyperRESEARCH allows you to work with text, graphics, audio and video sources making it an invaluable research analysis tool. With HyperRESEARCH, jobs that formerly required an entire desk can now be performed at your fingertips in a small fraction of the time. HyperRESEARCH has tools for a variety of analyses, including expert systems capabilities for testing hypotheses. HyperRESEARCH’s ability to work with multiple data types, such as text, graphics, audio, and video sources, provides the flexibility to integrate all of the data necessary to conduct your research. Specifically designed for ease of use, this program has a menu-driven Point & Click interface that allows you to focus your time on the project, not on running the program. HyperRESEARCH eliminates the need for costly workshops and further software instruction. It provides a turnkey solution by employing a built-in help system and several tutorials with step-by-step instructions. The functional simplicity and reliability of the software combined with its powerful advanced features make HyperRESEARCH an excellent tool for qualitative researchers at any level.” Graduate student version is $175.
- The Ethnograph 5.7/5.8 (PC)
“The Ethnograph v5.7/8 for Windows PCs is a versatile computer program designed to make the analysis of data collected during qualitative research easier, more efficient, and more effective. You can import your text-based qualitative data, typed up in any word processor, straight into the program. The Ethnograph
helps you search and note segments of interest within your data, mark them with code words and run analyses which can be retrieved for inclusion in reports or for further analysis. First launched in 1985, The Ethnograph was one of the first programs to pioneer computer assisted qualitative data analysis. Since then The Ethnograph has continued to be developed by qualitative data analysts for qualitative data analysts such as social scientists, historians, literary critics, health researchers, business and market analysts, legal researchers and others. The Ethnograph will handle your project data files and documents whether your data comes in the form of interview transcripts, field notes, open-ended survey responses, or other text-based documents.” Student version is $200.
“MAXqda2 is the successor of the well-known software package winMAX . MAXqda supports everyone who performs qualitative data analysis and helps you systematically evaluate and interpret your texts. It is also a powerful tool for developing theories as well as testing theoretical conclusions of your analysis. MAXqda is used in a wide range of academic and non-academic disciplines, for instance Sociology, Political Science, Psychology, Public Health, Anthropology, Education, Marketing, Economics and Urban Planning. MAXqda is distinguished by its high efficiency and stability, its elaborated functionality and excellent user friendliness. The simplicity of MAXqda2 does not imply a lack of sophistication. On the contrary, MAXqda is a demonstration that high technical standard and power can be combined with an easy and in most parts almost intuitive use of the tool. This special strength is particularly based on the following characteristics:
- The clear and neat structure of the program
- The extensive and differentiated functions combined with a unique and highly advanced visualization
available for the processes of coding, memo-writing and for browsing
- The seamless integration into the world of MS Office and the MS Internet Explorer, with which the majority of researcher are very familiar
Student version (download only) is $175.
“MAXdictio, an add-on module to MAXqda, is used for analyzing vocabulary, creating dictionaries and performing quantitative content analysis. What are the benefits of MAXdictio? See our illustrated examples here: analyzing vocabulary, creating dictionaries, using the coder and exporting results MAXqda users have repeatedly asked for a tool that would allow them to make an index of the words used in a text file, and to have access to an additional aid to explore and evaluate text. A dictionary- and content analysis-module, MAXdictio makes it easy to examine the vocabulary used in a text and to find out which words can be found in which text passages or full texts. MAXdictio gives access to a systematic analysis of differences in the vocabulary used by your interviewees’ responses in your texts. Besides the vocabulary functions, the MAXdictio module offers a number of techniques which originate from the area of classical quantitative content analysis. In this way, MAXdictio provides a strong and significant extension of the dimensions of qualitative data analysis. MAXdictio is not a competitive program to perform qualitative data analysis, but wants to use quantitative content analysis techniques to support and enrich qualitative data analysis. In this way, the researchers have a tool at hand, which provides an additional arsenal of methods which is easy to handle. In consequence, MAXdictio is not thought of as a primary program for qualitative data analysis. However, its functionality is absolutely of interest for researchers who have to manage their projects with programs for content analysis.” No student version.
- CDC EZ-Text (PC)
Software developed for researchers “to create, manage, and analyze semi-structured qualitative databases. Researchers can design a series of data entry templates tailored to their questionnaire. These questionnaires are usually administered during face-to-face interviews with a sample of respondents. A response to a question may be entered into EZ-Text either as a verbatim transcript (e.g., from a tape recording), or a summary generated from the interviewer’s notes. Data from respondents can be typed directly into the templates or copied from word processor documents. Following data entry, investigators can interactively create on-line codebooks, apply codes to specific response passages, develop case studies, conduct database searches to identify text passages that meet user-specified conditions, and export data in a wide array of formats for further analysis with other qualitative or statistical analysis software programs. Project managers can merge data files generated by different interviewers for combined cross-site analyses. The ability to export and import the codebook helps to coordinate the efforts of multiple coders simultaneously working with copies of the same database file.” THIS IS FREEWARE. They also have examples on developing CODING BOOKS and use of the software.
- Vic’s compendium of software
Software that “supports knowledge management and information organization in graphical form. Includes mind mappers, concept mappers, outliners, hierarchical organizers, KM support and knowledge browsers, 2D and 3D. The opinions are Vic’s but material in quotes that follows “What they say” is quoted from the vendors’ web sites. All prices are as at the most recent check (March 06). “$” means US dollars, other currencies use the international currency code (EUR, euros; GBP, Pounds Sterling, etc.) The product names used in this web site are for identification purposes only. All trademarks and registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners.”
- Concept Systems Incorporated
“Needs Assessment…Project Planning-Organizational Decision-Making…Strategic Change Initiatives… No matter the topic or issue, every organization will be involved in the processes listed above at one time or another. How does the CSI method make these processes better? Three key elements: Concept Mapping, Pattern Matching, and Value Plots (go-zones). The Concept System software reduces the time it takes to develop even the most detailed of projects. Our approach builds consensus and can track and evaluate performance to ensure your project’s goals are met.” This is the primary website and the only one from which you can download The Concept System Version 4 software and obtain information about licensing and training. There are numerous papers, case studies, and a comprehensive Knowledge Base that covers both the group process and software. The site emphasizes applications and examples from corporate and for-profit contexts.
- Decision Explorer
- “Proven tool for managing “soft” issues – the qualitative information that surrounds complex or uncertain situations. It allows you to capture in detail thoughts and ideas, to explore them, and gain new understanding and insight. The result is a fresh perspective, and time saved through increased productivity, release of creativity and a better focus. Decision Explorer® has been developed by academics at the universities of Bath and Strathclyde and now by Banxia Software, in conjunction with major organizations. This innovative tool now has hundreds of major international users.”
- IHMC Cmap Tools
- Empowers users to “construct, navigate, share and criticize knowledge models represented as concept maps. It allows users to, among many other features, construct their Cmaps in their personal computer, share them on servers (CmapServers) anywhere on the Internet, link their Cmaps to other Cmaps on servers, automatically create web pages of their concept maps on servers, edit their maps synchronously (at the same time) with other users on the Internet, and search the web for information relevant to a concept map. The CmapTools client is free for use by anybody, whether its use is commercial or non-commercial. In particular, schools and universities are encouraged to download it and install it in as many computers as desired, and students and teachers may make copies of it and install it at home. (Commercial companies that install their own CmapServer do need to get a separate license for a CmapTools client that will talk to the commercial version of the CmapServer).”
- Visual Mind
- “Visual Mind is a powerful tool that will help you in your daily work, whether the purpose is business or personal related. Through a mind-friendly and simple to use interface, you can visualize your thinking, quickly arrange and organize your work, all to benefit you as well as people around you.”
- “Compendium is the semantic hypertext concept mapping tool at the heart of the Compendium methodology. It is the result of over 15 years’ continual research, deployment and development of a tool to support the real time mapping of discussions in meetings, collaborative modelling, and the longer term management of this information as organizational memory…Compendium is a robust system, used for real work, but not a commercial product. Its first free public release, of v.1.2, occurred in January 2003, followed by many other releases. The source code became freely available in 2004.”