Tax Information

Income Tax Tips for International Students

International Students in the U.S. are required to file tax forms each year regardless of whether they earned any income in the U.S.

Admissions staff members are sometimes asked what can happen if an F-1 student fails to file their annual tax forms. There can be immigration consequences for failing to file tax forms. For example, applicants wishing to change from F-1 (the professional worker visa) may be asked by the Immigration Service to submit copies of previous years’ income tax forms as a part of their F-1 application. Applicants for permanent residency (green cards) can be asked to show copies of tax forms filed for previous years.

Federal tax forms and publications are available by calling 1-800-829-3676, by fax-on-demand by calling 1-703-368-9694 from your fax machine, or from the web at

For assistance with Federal forms, call the Internal Revenue Service toll free at 1-800-829-1040 or visit the IRS web site. The Internal Revenue Service also offers free advice and answers to international questions. Contact the IRS national office Hotline at 1-202-847-1460 for assistance. This is not a toll free number.

You may also want to visit the web site of Windstar Technologies, Inc. which features articles and reference information on a number of topics of interest to international students, including:

  • U.S. taxation of foreign students and scholars: A road map to an individual’s tax return
  • U.S. Taxation of Foreign Students
  • Tax Treaty Benefits for Foreign Students and Scholars: How Tax Treaties Work

For links to the tax authorities of other states, visit the web site of the Federation of Tax Administrators. Most states provide downloadable tax forms here.

Please see an Admissions staff member if you have questions.