Employment in the United States

F-1 Student Employment

It is your responsibility to comply with all immigration regulations which apply to F-1 students. If you fail to comply with your responsibilities, you may not be eligible for benefits granted to F-1 students or you may lose your valid student status. Employment opportunities for international students are restricted in the U.S. Obtaining authorization to work in this country is often a difficult process. In general there are two types of employment: on-campus employment and off-campus employment.

On-Campus Employment (F-1)

On-campus employment is permitted for full-time students without special authorization from the DHS so long as it is performed on our premises and where the employer is either AUNE or a commercial firm which provides services to students on campus (such as the library), or at an off-campus location that is educationally affiliated with AUNE. In either case, you must be pursuing a full course of study and may not work more than 20 hours/week during the academic year (employment that is required for an assistantship or fellowship counts toward the 20 hours/week maximum). During vacation or recess periods, students in F-1 status may work more than 20 hours/week as long as they are registered for the coming year. Also, any on-campus employment cannot displace a U.S. resident.

Off-Campus Employment (F-1)

Off-campus employment is any type of work or services performed in exchange for money, tuition, fees, books, supplies, room, food or any other benefit. A work permit is required before any off-campus employment is allowed. See an advisor In Admissions for advice and assistance, with the following:

  • Optional Practical Training
  • Curricular Practical Training
  • Off-campus Employment Due to Severe Economic Need
  • Employment with an International Organization