Located in Yellow Springs, Ohio, Antioch College was founded in 1852. Its first president, Horace Mann, was a noted abolitionist and educational reformer. During his commencement message to the class of 1859, Mann urged the new graduates to “be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
In 1964, Antioch College’s first off-campus graduate program, a Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT), began on the site of the former Putney Graduate School in Putney, Vermont.
The program focused on meeting pressing social needs by educating future teachers in disadvantaged communities in the US and abroad or by working in community or other programs in rural and urban poverty areas. Many of Antioch-Putney’s first students were former Peace Corps volunteers.
The first semester of the MAT in social sciences began in September in Yellow Springs, Ohio. The program required five semesters and included study with highly reputable faculty in Yellow Springs, teaching internships in inner city schools, and a semester-long seminar of reflection and assimilation in Putney, Vermont.
In 1966, Antioch-Putney received almost $100,000 in federal money through the Higher Education Act of 1965. The funds were used to fill teacher intern positions in Washington, DC, and Baltimore, MD.
In 1971, Antioch-Putney moved to Harrisville, New Hampshire, and became Antioch Graduate School of Education.
New programs launched in 1972, including a Master of Education in Supervision and Administration, a Master of Education in Guidance & Counseling, and a Master of Science in Teaching begins in Environmental Science.
In 1974, Antioch moved to 1 Elm Street in Keene.
In 1975, it was renamed Antioch New England Graduate School and the following academic departments were formed: Department of Education, Department of Professional Psychology, Department of Organization & Management, and Department of Environmental Studies.
In 1976, the Master of Movement Therapy began in the Professional Psychology Department, and the Department of Organization & Management launched the Master of Human Service Administration.
In 1980, Antioch New England moved to Roxbury Street in Keene.
Antioch New England moved to 40 Avon Street in Keene, the former Sprague & Carleton furniture factory, in 1994.
In 2000, Antioch New England commemorated its 35th anniversary with the book Antioch in New England: First Eight Years, by Heidi Watts.
In 2009, Antioch University transferred ownership of Antioch College of Ohio, allowing it to become independent of Antioch University, yet founded upon a shared history.
In 2011, Antioch University New England began reaffirmation of accreditation, culminating successfully in 2012.
Nearly all of AUNE’s degree programs require practical experience. Examples range from students in the Environmental Studies program helping local towns protect drinking water supplies to psychologists in training offering low-cost counseling services to all who seek them. AUNE students make a difference while they are in school.
The institution, itself, has also pledged resources and its considerable brain trust to enhancing civic institutions and participation both in the Monadnock Region and across the globe.
Though much has changed since the early days but Antioch University New England’s vision remains unchanged.
Today, Antioch University is a five-campus university located in four states. Each campus has its own distinct academic programs, community life, and regional or national identity. Antioch University is founded on principles of rigorous liberal arts education, innovative experiential learning, and socially engaged citizenship.